Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:26pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Missing Pieces »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Lost
(Moderators: yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Missing Pieces
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Missing Pieces  (Read 822 times)
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Missing Pieces
« on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For those of you who need a LOST fix - you can check out these little mobisodes on your phone, if you have Verizon VCast.  OR, you can wait a few days and see them on abc.com
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/missingpieces/index

According to ABC's website:
Lost: Missing Pieces are 13 two- to three-minute stories of compelling, new, never-before-seen moments from the hit television show LOST. These newly-created scenes (not deleted scenes from previous episodes) reveal answers and new details about your favorite characters. For each story, we leave it up to the fans to figure out where these pieces fit into the overall mythology. The new stories are from the same creative team responsible for the series and feature the show's main actors in stories that have all the compelling values that make LOST one of the most popular dramas on television around the world.

There are currently three released:

#1 - The Watch (107) - Which features Jack and Christian in a scene just before Jack and Sarah's wedding.  Jack is on the beach tossing rocks into the ocean.  His dad comes up and has a chat and gives him a watch that belonged to Jack's grandfather.  According to Christian, his father gave it to him when he married Jack's mom.  Jack points out that he's never seen his father wear it.  Christian comments that his father thought marrying Jack's mom was the biggest mistake Christian ever made - so Christian refused to wear the watch.  Jack asks if he's trying to tell him something?  Christian tells him no, that Sarah is the best decision Jack has ever made, and adds that if Jack ever has a son, to "be better to him that I was to you."

#2 - The Adventures of Hurley and Frogurt (103) -  

#3 - King of the Castle (101)

(I've not watched two and three yet, just found these last night and with my wickedly slow dialup I only watched the one before I went to bed.  I'll get to the second one today.  The third one is not online yet.)

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:13am by yesteach » IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: Missing Pieces
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:16am »

Webisodes of ‘Lost’: Model Deal for Writers?
ABC.com

By EDWARD WYATT
Published: November 20, 2007

Correction Appended

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 19 — On the picket lines, striking television and film writers adamantly claim that studios are refusing to pay for the use of writers’ scripts on the Internet.

But ABC Studios is doing just that. Over the next three months fans of the hit show “Lost” can go to ABC.com to view weekly episodes of “Lost: Missing Pieces,” a series of new two- to three-minute shorts that reveal background information and previously undisclosed details about the stranded inhabitants of the show’s mysterious island.

The “Missing Pieces” episodes were produced under an agreement with the writers’ union that provides for much of what the writers say the studios have been refusing to offer.

Payment for the use of material on the Internet will be a central issue keeping the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers apart when they head back to the bargaining table on Monday.

But as the “Lost” example shows, the two sides have found common ground before, and both have shown interest in giving some ground on the issue.

The “Missing Pieces” episodes were written by the regular writers of the television series, a group that includes Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, executive producers of the series, who also oversaw production of the webisodes. They also feature the show’s regular actors and characters, including Matthew Fox, who plays Dr. Jack Shephard. Mr. Fox appears in the first installment, released last week. The writers, actors and others involved in the production were paid specifically for their work on the Web episodes and will earn residual income, just as they do for the broadcast show.

In an interview Mr. Cuse said that while it took five months to reach an agreement, he believes the “Missing Pieces” deal could serve as a template for resolving at least some of the dispute over payment for online use of material.

“I think it is a pretty good model,” he said last week. “What it shows is that there is basically room for a partnership between writers and the studios in a new medium. It’s where I wish we were headed instead of being stuck in this standoff.”

People close to the studios say they also see some promise in the “Lost” deal, although they note that it was negotiated with a single producers’ alliance member, ABC Studios, rather than with all of the members of the group. The deal also included a clause specifically stating that it did not set a precedent for any future deals and could not be cited as such in future negotiations.

Nevertheless, the television and film studios offered terms similar to the “Lost” deal in the negotiations that took place before writers began their strike on Nov. 5, said Barbara Brogliatti, a spokeswoman for the alliance.

Charles B. Slocum, assistant executive director of the Writers Guild of America West, said in an interview on Friday that he believed “in general terms” that the “Lost” deal created “the pattern that we are looking for in our negotiations,” although he noted that the guild was seeking better financial terms.

“Lost: Missing Pieces” paid the writers of each short episode approximately $800. For that the studio received the right to run the episodes on Verizon cellphones for 13 weeks. After that period, repeats of the episodes or their transmissions on other media — like the Internet — would generate residuals for the writers of 1.2 percent to 2 percent of the fee the studio received to license the material.

Therefore, the episodes now running on ABC.com, each preceded by an advertisement, are generating for the writers a 2 percent residual. In its contract negotiations, the Writers Guild is seeking 2.5 percent for similar work in the future.

The “Lost” deal represents, for the writers, a significant improvement over similar situations elsewhere. On NBC.com, for example, fans of “The Office” can find episodes of “The Accountants,” a series of shorts made for the Internet, scripted by writers of “The Office” and featuring regular actors from the show. A short commercial usually accompanies episodes.

But writers of the “The Accountants” received no specific payment for their work and receive no residuals from their continued play. Writers from “The Office,” including Greg Daniels, an executive producer, have objected to that and refused to work on further shorts without a separate agreement.

There is some dispute over exactly what writers want in such agreements, however. Representatives of the studios, who agreed to speak only on the condition of anonymity, said writers were asking to be paid a percentage of the retail price of movies and television episodes downloaded over services like iTunes, and a percentage of the advertising revenues generated when movies or television shows or mini-episodes — like those from “The Office” and “Lost” — are streamed online.

To the studios that is like the manufacturer of a product’s being asked to pay its workers based on the retail price of what it makes, something the manufacturer has no control over.

Mr. Slocum disputes that, however, saying that the guild is only seeking to be paid a portion of the wholesale price of downloaded content, and a portion of the licensing fee that the studios receive for streamed content. In other words, Mr. Slocum says that the writers are seeking what the studios have said, in principal, that they are willing to pay.

The two sides don’t agree on when payments should begin. The studios want a six-week window in which they can replay full episodes of a television series without paying extra. The time is necessary, they say, to “promote” the series, allowing viewers who missed a show’s regular broadcast to catch up. The writers have said they would accept a much shorter window, of about three days.

Another sticking point remains in how licensing fees are measured. Because ABC Studios, which produces “Lost,” is owned by the same company that owns the ABC television network, which operates ABC.com, the Writers Guild questions whether the licensing fee being paid from one related party to another is being negotiated fairly.

The guild argues that the best indicator of what is a fair licensing fee is how much advertising revenue the Web site can earn selling ads for the Internet content. The studios object to advertising revenue being brought into the equation at all.

With the two parties seeming to agree in principle that there can be a way for studios to pay writers when their scripts are used for Internet content, the studios and the writers would seem to have already established some sort of foundation for a settlement.

Perhaps that recognition helped push the two sides to agree to return to the bargaining table in a week. As Mr. Cuse said of “The Missing Pieces” episodes, “It’s ironic that these are coming out and flourishing when this is the crux of the issue in our strike.”

Correction: November 22, 2007

An article in The Arts on Tuesday about Internet episodes of “Lost: Missing Pieces,” based on the ABC television show “Lost,” referred incompletely to the writers. Although Carlton Cuse, an executive producer, wrote the first in the Internet series of 13, others episodes were written by members of the group of writers who regularly work on the television show, including Mr. Cuse and Damon Lindelof, also an executive producer.
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 9:10pm »

#4 is Juliet and Michael - she did know, so she lied about that.

#5 is Juliet and Jack - is she really "one of us" type theme.

#6 is the best so far in my opinion - Room 23 - Juliet and Ben discussing Walt. Juliet is telling Ben how everyone is afraid, Bea, Tom won't take him his food. They need to let him go... very creepy ending!
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:14pm »

#7 "Arzt and Crafts" - basically Arzt trying to persuade the Losties not to follow Jack to the caves, until they hear the monster in the trees, then he's packing up and going...

#8 - "Buried Secrets" -
shows Sun and Michael. The two most relevant things: Sun is digging up a fake drivers license showing her "new name" and address in California AND when Michael comes upon her there is a point where they almost kiss.

#9 "Tropical Depression" - not seen this one yet, but what i've read basicaly Arzt admitting he doesn't know anything about monsoon season...
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:39pm by yesteach » IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 10:54pm »

#10 Jack Meet Ethan. Ethan? Jack. - Ethan comes up and introduces himself and gives Jack a case full of meds he "found in the jungle."  Says he'd heard they were rounding up all the medicine... and states that his wife and child died in childbirth... ??

#11 Jin Has a Tantrum On the Golf Course - Basically Jin gets mad because he keeps losing, and has lost to both Michael and Hurley... and goes on a rant.

#12 The Envelope - Amelia (the older lady from the book club) arrives at Juliet's early.  This is a bit interesting so I'm going to post the whole transcript.
Quote:
Mobisode #12 - “The Envelope”

[A timer is beeping. Juliet runs to the oven and gets her muffins out. She burns her hand. The doorbell rings. She runs her hand under water. It’s the woman from the beginning of ATOTC, Amelia. Amelia gets her something from the freezer.]

Juliet: I’m fine. I’m really fine. I just, I need to clean up before everyone gets here. Thank you.

Amelia: It’s him, isn’t it?

Juliet: What? Who?

Amelia: Ben. Did you invite him today?

Juliet: Thanks for [….Things are kinda awkward…]

Amelia: Finally told you how he felt, huh?

Juliet: He didn’t, he didn’t say anything. It’s just complicated. Okay?

Amelia: Complicated doesn’t make you cry.

Juliet: I burned my hand.

Amelia: That doesn’t make you cry either. What happened Julie?

Juliet: I think, I think we’re in big trouble.

Amelia: Are we?

Juliet: I need, if I show you something, do you promise not to tell anyone? Do you swear? Not anyone.

Amelia nods her head. Juliet goes to a drawer and pulls out a large manila envelope from under the silverware tray. She starts to open it, and the doorbell rings.
IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:41pm »

OK.. the final mobisode is most definitely the BEST of them all... an OMGWTF moment if ever there was one!!

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/

A transcript would ruin it.. you HAVE to watch it for the full effect.. enjoy!!

THREE MORE DAYS!!!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.