Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Malaysians Not Laughing at Carrey »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Malaysians Not Laughing at Carrey
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Malaysians Not Laughing at Carrey  (Read 833 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Jul 30th, 2003, 12:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tue, Jul 29, 2003, 08:07 AM PT  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Deeming it offensive to Muslims, a Malaysian government minister has called for the Jim Carrey comedy "Bruce Almighty" to be banned.  

The BBC reports that Abdul Hamid Zainal Abidin, the minister responsible for religious affairs, wants the Jim Carrey film to join the growing list of movies that offend the country's censors.  

In the Tom Shadyac directed flick, Carrey's character, who complains about God too often, is given almighty powers to teach him how difficult it is to run the world.  

Mr Abidin told the Bernama news agency the theme of the film was "not appropriate," saying that is it wrong to equate themselves with God, even if it is a joke.  

The predominantly Muslim country has a track record for banning American films, or censoring scenes on moral or religious grounds.  

In 2001, the country was offended by Ben Stiller's "Zoolander." In the comedy, Stiller portrayed a clueless fashion model who is brainwashed to kill the Prime Minister of Malaysia.  

IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Re: Malaysians Not Laughing at Carrey
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 1:03am »

I don't recall if it was this film but I know there was a recent film which had offensive language in it with respect to the muslim religion and I agreed at the time that it went too far.  

If it is simply equating oneself with God then in this case I think the humor is not seen.  Rather the film might be taken a bit too seriously - however, there are likely cultural differences I cannot appreciate.
IP Logged
SangKuRiang
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 1:23am »

Well, Malaysians in general don't really care if a movie gets banned because in a few months we can get a VCD or DVD to see it.

Regarding Zoolander, i have seen this movie and IMO it got banned because it gave the assumption that Malaysia is like a Chinese country. It showed the Prime Minister as a Deng Xiopeng (sp?) lookalike and the citizens all chinese (with dragon dances and the like). Even though there are a lot of chinese citizens here, The Prime Minister and other ministers are predominantly malay. This wouldn't go down well with the malay majority. Mindful of the backlash that this would surely get, the Government decided to ban the movie (which i agree)

To show God or the prophet Mohammad is blasphemy to muslims. You will never see a drawing or image of them made by muslims. If you have seen the movie 'The Messenger' starring Alec Guinness, you will notice that they don't show the prophet Mohammad in the movie although the movie revolves around him.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2003, 3:18am by SangKuRiang » IP Logged
david

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 8:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It really doesnt matter what we do wesather its a movie or our Forein Policy we are going to offend someone over in that part of the country. But regardless the film wasnt made for them anyhow and the monies lost by not showing it there amount to spitting in the Ocean.
IP Logged
azure
ForumsNet Member
USA 

azure1967  
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 8:54am »

so in general did anyone see this film and if so, did you like it.

I was considering seeing it but now am unsure!  Cheesy
IP Logged

HELLO EVERYBODY!!
david

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I added it to my Netflix list of movies i want to see.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.