Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Critics: Affleck, J.Lo movie a turkey »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Critics: Affleck, J.Lo movie a turkey
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Critics: Affleck, J.Lo movie a turkey  (Read 818 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Jul 30th, 2003, 11:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wednesday, July 30, 2003 Posted: 4:31 PM EDT (2031 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Call it one of the biggest turkeys of all time.  

The romance between Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez has captivated the American public, but their first movie together is already being called a low point of cinema history.  

If early reviews are anything to go by, the pairing of the real-life love birds in the movie "Gigli" looks set to bomb when it opens at the U.S. box office on Friday.  

Among its biggest problems is a love scene in which Lopez spreads her legs and tells a smoldering Affleck, "It's turkey time. Gobble, gobble."  

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall it ain't.  

"Witless, coarse, and vulgar, 'Gigli' is worse than its advance buzz could have indicated," wrote Fox News critic Roger Friedman. "The film -- if you can call it that -- is a total, mindless disaster."  

The New York Post on Wednesday ran a full-page splash blasting the movie. "The 'Gigli' is Up," the paper wrote, adding, "Ben-Jen bomb was made for walking."  

Much of the movie features Affleck's efforts to change Lopez' character from being a lesbian into a straight woman. Needless to say, by the time she's saying, "Gobble, gobble," she's changed sides.  

The romantic gangster film pairs a couple who have been almost omnipresent in U.S. tabloids for months and who have been touted as among the sexiest people in the world.  

While their romance was said to have been originally sparked with the shooting of "Gigli," critics see little of that spark in the movie. Critics have compared the film to such box office flops as Madonna's "Swept Away," Mariah Carey's "Glitter" and Britney Spears vehicle "Crossroads."  

"From 'Gigli's' first test screenings, where writer-director Martin Brest clashed with Revolution studio chief Joe Roth over the film's final act and pace, to the film's poster, which allegedly featured a retouched version of Lopez's famous derriere [which the studio denies], nearly every step of the film's path to the screen has been chronicled by the Internet, the tabloids and, eventually, the mainstream media," the Los Angeles Times wrote.  

"Taken together, 'Gigli' has single-handedly disproved the maxim that there's no such thing as bad publicity."  

IP Logged
Rachel
ForumsNet Member
USA 

"Be that which you expect others to be."

ae_rachel  
View Profile

Re: Critics: Affleck, J.Lo movie a turkey
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 3:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This movie looks so bad... I may rent it and through tomatoes at the screen when it comes out on video!
IP Logged

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrafice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
david

Email

Re: Critics: Affleck, J.Lo movie a turkey
« Reply #2 on: Aug 2nd, 2003, 9:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I really like both Ben and JLO (although Daredevil stunk) and I thought I would go see this one but based on the panning this film is getting everywhere I think I will stay away
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.