Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Kidman Kicks Off Three Films in Toronto »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Kidman Kicks Off Three Films in Toronto
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kidman Kicks Off Three Films in Toronto  (Read 468 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Kidman Kicks Off Three Films in Toronto
« on: Sep 7th, 2003, 10:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Kidman Kicks Off Three Films in Toronto, Grants Candid Interview
Sat, Sep 06, 2003, 10:09 PM PT
By Mike Szymanski

TORONTO (Zap2it.com) -- Nicole Kidman popped in at the Toronto International Film Festival and offered a very private interview to a select group of international journalists -- including Zap2it.com -- promoting two of her most recent films "Dogville" and "The Human Stain."  

The rare hour-long interview was set up by Miramax just hours before her appearance on the red carpet at the Gala premiere of "Human Stain" where she appeared Saturday night with co-star Anthony Hopkins. Last year's best actress Oscar winner talked candidly about her upcoming movies, her co-stars, her children and her preparation for another onslaught of Academy Award buzz.  

"Here we go again, it's a roller-coaster of a ride come November," she laughs with Zap2it. "And of course this year we have a lot of pressure on 'Cold Mountain' and I'm thinking, 'Oh no,' but at the same time I'm working with the greatest directors in the modern world."

stars in two Gala featured films and is producer of "In the Cut" directed by her friend Jane Campion. "Human Stain" is directed by Robert Benton (whom she's worked with before) and is about an abused woman who falls in love with an older man (Hopkins), and "Dogville" is directed by Swedish director Lars von Trier and is a minimalist film where sets consist of drawings on the floor and she plays a woman who is taken in by a small American town after she runs away from gangsters.  

"I choose movies in threes, I have come to realize, and these two are part of the trilogy that started with 'The Hours,' " says the actress about her award-winning performance playing writer Viriginia Wolf. She says "Cold Mountain" is a big change in the kinds of women she is playing. She is now working on a comedic version of "The Stepford Wives" and has a TV version of "Bewitched" somewhere in her distant future.  

"It's tough being funny," Kidman says about "Stepford Wives." "Bette Midler makes me laugh every day, I adore her."  

Kidman admits that she turned down the emotional role of a teacher who wants to hear about the grisly details of a corpse found near her house in the film "In the Cut," and the role went to Meg Ryan because Kidman was in the middle of her divorce with Tom Cruise. Earlier Saturday, before appearing in front of the audience together, director Campion asked Kidman how to handle the question when it's put to her about why she turned down the part.  

"I told her to tell the truth, I wasn't in the place to do that kind of role at the time and I needed to spend that time with my children," she sighs. "I was very glad to give such a complicated female role to Meg and she is so good in the movie."  

She talked about bringing her children with her to sets around the world. They are both very artistic, her daughter paints beautifully and she says one of them in interested in acting and the other is not.  

"We never discuss our custody in terms of our children, but they come to film sets and are aware of what I am doing and my different characters," Kidman said. "They have a complicated life, you feel guilty for it, you apologize for it, but you know you can give them an artistic life. I don't protect them from that, I tell them that I play a woman who lost her two children (in 'Human Stain'), but of course I don't have them there during a sex scene."  

Dressed in a pink silk teddy with a cargo jacket and tan slacks, the actress had long blonde trusses with a white flower in her hair and long earrings. She says she hates cell phones and prefers to be in areas where she can't be contacted; she sings Burt Bacharach songs for some reason now while in her car and she hates filming in Los Angeles because it feels like such a company town.  

Meanwhile, she's looking ahead to another round of Oscar talk, and says, "Last year was amazing for me because of (the Oscar), it didn't sink in that I won it for Virginia Wolf, she gave me so much, and on top of it, she gave me an Oscar, and I'm glad to have that through her."  

She adds, " I have a strange relationship with Ms. Wolfe."

IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Re: Kidman Kicks Off Three Films in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I must admit, I admire her very much.  To go though a divorce and a miscarriage at the same time and come out fighting...She has really blossomed since she left Tom Cruise's shadow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.