Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 1:04pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Upcoming Reality Shows »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Other Television Shows
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Upcoming Reality Shows
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Upcoming Reality Shows  (Read 690 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Upcoming Reality Shows
« on: May 15th, 2002, 1:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

From E! Online

Think the torch has fizzled on reality TV? Think again. This summer, there'll be more "nonscripted dramas" than ever scheming and backstabbing their way to a small screen near you. Get ready for desperate women hunting a hubby in Alaska, desperate men wooing a wife through her parents and, of course, the tried-and-true formula--desperate people doing craaazy things for money.

To help you survive this endless sea of Mark Burnett wannabes, we've enlisted one of the pioneers of reality television. Becky Blasband was a roomie on MTV's first Real World season and competed in the recent Battle of the Seasons spinoff. She's dishing the real deal on this summer's reality fare by dividing it into three categories: Fabulous, Floater or Flop.

Ultimately, the decision to tune in or not is yours--just don't say we didn't warn you. (And don't forget the ultimate in reality, E!'s very own True Hollywood Story. Cool new episodes are premiering all summer long--check it out!)

Mole II: The Next Betrayal (ABC)
Premiere: May 28
You've seen the first one, right? I'm still confused. Aren't moles blind animals with teeth on their lips? I never know who wins on this show, I just get paranoid. Too many head games! So, if one of the cups is poisoned, is it the one in front of him or in front of you? Who switched the cups? And if you did, did you put the poisoned cup in front of you or in front of him? Or was it the other way around? Maybe this is a show for smart people. It goes way over my head.
Bottom Line: Flop

Looking for Love: Bachelorettes in Alaska (Fox)
Premiere:  June 2
Think finding a husband is tricky? Try being one of five women sent to the tundra to find a man. I can't stop picturing Nanook, standing by his ice hole, whilst "Candy" clicks over to chat him up in her heels and DKNY parka. She approaches Nanook (who does not understand English) and screams loudly over the Alaskan wind, "I know you do not understand a word I am saying! But I know we can have a life together! Will you be mine?" Will he throw her over his shoulder? Does she have to wrestle a polar bear? Is Nanook hot? I can't wait!
Bottom Line: Fabulous

The Hamptons (ABC)
Premiere: June 2
A show set in New York's beachy, resorty playground? Sounds dishy! This two-part miniseries is a "real look" at the lives of the rich and famous, the farmers and the single folk who "summer" there. I used to vacay in the Hamptons, and I never saw a farmer--or Billy Joel playing piano at the school, which we'll see on the show. I did see him fighting up a storm with then wife Christie Brinkley in a Ralph Lauren shop. If they show that kind of stuff, I'll be glued to my tube.

Spy TV (NBC)
Premiere: June 4
Spy TV, a sort of extreme Candid Camera, is back for a second season of high-volume humiliation. But this time, instead of that Ed weirdo Phil Stubbs, the show is hosted by spicy-hot Doritos diva Ali Landry. This is the show where hidden cameras watch regular people in irregular situations and record their spontaneous reactions for the amusement of the television audience. Ratings were impressive the first time around, but if you ask me, this formula has been running on empty since the '70s.
Bottom Line: Floater

American Idol (Fox)
Premiere:  June 11
I cannot wait for this show! It's Star Search, Making the Band and Meet the Beatles rolled into one! This is one huge nationwide televised talent search for the biggest superstar ever. The winner gets their big break, and we'll probably hear them all over the airwaves. This show has already been tried and tested in the U.K., where the champ hit the music charts at number one. It works, folks. And the cool thing about it? Viewers vote for the winner, which means you get to choose who you're going to hear on the radio 24-7 for the six months following the show.

Crime & Punishment (NBC)
Premiere:  June 16
This puppy, from Law & Order creator Dick Wolf, follows a group of assistant district attorneys as they crack cases and go to trial. It's a true glimpse into the justice system. And how fascinated are we? Did we not watch O.J. like hawks? If they actually treat this one with some respect, it could be a real winner. But if they make it like Cops, chasing down every trailer-park loser with a record, or like People's Court, where two people argue over a stained sofa, it'll be a waste of airtime. Because of Wolf's impressive record with shows that have ampersands in the title, I cannot judge. I can only put it on probation.

Dog Eat Dog (NBC)
Premiere: June 17
Get ready for the latest game-show shocker from the guys who brought you gems like Fear Factor and Weakest Link. Six sexy, brawny, brainy people fight it out in various competitions for a top prize of $25,000. The winner is "Top Dog." Sounds like a rehash of everything we've seen before. Call it: Who Wants to Be the Weakest Survivor? Challenge for Lame Money.

Road Rules: Campus Invasion Tour (MTV)
Premiere:  June 17
This time around, the six teammates stick to college campuses to win prizes through various challenges. But is anyone here named Bluto? Will there be cafeteria food fights? I want to believe they went from campus to campus creating mayhem, Animal House-style. But I don't think that's what we get. Still, Road Rulers are unruly by nature. (Believe me, I lived with them for a couple weeks on Battle of the Seasons.) Apparently, two of the girls hated each other and are trying very hard to pretend like they get along. So, it might be worth watching.

Houston Medical (ABC)
Premiere: June 18
There's a difference between Reality TV and reality, and this one is the latter. Don't miss this six-part series about the professional and personal lives of the doctors, nurses and patients at Houston's Memorial Hermann Hospital. After years of General Hospital and ER, it'll be fascinating to watch the real stories and the hard work of people doing important work. But I'll miss Luke and Laura.

The Diary Affairs (ABC)
Premiere: July TBA
Here, strangers are led to one another through the directions of a "diary." The diary creates an entangled labyrinth that eventually leads these characters to "the possibility of love." Once the diary is complete and the "dream is over," it's up to these people to decide whether or not they're going to keep pursuing "the reality." Whew! I'm already exhausted. Is this what it takes to hook up these days?!

Big Brother 3 (CBS)
Oh, give me a break.

Meet My Folks (NBC)
It's kind of like The Bachelor in reverse. This time, it's the men who compete for the woman of their dreams. But they're not courting the woman; they're courting the parents! Three suitors live with the woman's folks for a long weekend, where they're put through various tests of character to try to score brownie points and gold stars on the refrigerator. Whoever wins gets to schtup the daughter in Hawaii for a week. There are supposed to be "revealing" and "tell-all" conversations with the parents, so prepare to learn about the birds and the bees. I bet the dad makes them sleep in the barn.
IP Logged
east
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

sigh

48936621 48936621   eastendgirlbc   eastendgirlBC
View Profile

Re: Upcoming Reality Shows
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2002, 9:04pm »

Cheesy

i have something to watch now!  i have something to watch now!

yes, i am getting help!
IP Logged

read, study, reflect, write, read, study, reflect, spell check, write
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2002, 6:07am »

Currently UPN is running "Under One Roof" Tuesdays at 9:00.  Five families "stranded" in a four-bedroom beach-house on Fiji.  They do "property challenges" for ribbons, and the family with the least amount of ribbons after a certain number of challenges, has to leave the island.  The last family left, wins the house.  Think Survivor meets Real World.  It's actually pretty neat, you should check it out.

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
crypto
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2002, 8:32am »

Thanks for the info Eric.  I haven't even heard of that one.  I'll be sure to check it out.
IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Under One Roof
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2002, 1:26pm »

It's an interesting show, because you've got the parents dealing w/ their children dynamics going on at the same time you have the five families (20 people) in a four bedroom house with one bathroom trying to deal with each other.  Each family has to work to together to advance in the game, but you also have the teenagers getting together to complain about their parents.
The second Property Challenge last night was off the scale on the "willies" meter, too.   Shocked  Each family had to select two members as "Holders" and two others as "Placers" and the Placers had to pick up these huge spiders from a box and put them on the Holders.  The family that ended up with the most spiders crawling on the Holders after a minute or so, won the challenge and five ribbons.  :shudder:  I'm not afraid of spiders, but yuck!

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.