Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 5:00am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « 24, Season 2 »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Other Television Shows
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   24, Season 2
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24, Season 2  (Read 452 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

24, Season 2
« on: Jul 9th, 2002, 10:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

'24' Stars Fear the Future
Mon, Jul 8, 2002 04:24 PM PDT  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - During a press tour in Monte Carlo over the weekend, two of "24's" stars, Leslie Hope and Dennis Haysbert, expressed concern over the direction that the show's second season appears to be taking.

Stephen Hopkins, who directed the critically-acclaimed first season of "24," will not be returning for its sophomore year. The actors fear that his replacement might be more open to studio executives' desires to dumb down the show.  

"When they put out a casting call for a bunch of beautiful women in their 20s, you have to ask yourself why," Hope tells The Guardian.  

Hope played Teri Bauer, the strong-minded wife of the show's protagonist who was shot dead in the season finale. She's hoping that "24" won't pander to viewers at the suggestion of certain media moguls, adding that, "Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch, and it all comes back to one man. The business is all about money."  

Similarly concerned is Dennis Haysbert, who plays presidential candidate David Palmer. He believes that "24" offered fresh options to minority actors, who are usually cast as "drug addicts, criminals or judges" on American television.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

Re: 24, Season 2
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12th, 2002, 5:22pm »

"24" Gets New Blood  
by Mark Armstrong  
Jul 11, 2002, 4:45 PM PT  

His wife is dead, but will agent Jack Bauer actually get some new lovin' next season? And if so, when will he find the time?  

The answers are maybe...and who the heck knows. But we do know that actress Sarah Wynter has joined the cast of Fox's real-time thriller 24 for its second season. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Wynter has signed on to play the female lead, a rich young woman who gets caught up in a terrorist plot.  

Producers also are reportedly eyeing her as a potential love interest for Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.  

Wynter's already well-versed in the world of action-thrillers: She previously appeared opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger in his 2000 flick The 6th Day and starred in the 2000 TNT thriller Race Against Time, costarring Eric Roberts and Cary Elwes. Her film credits also include last year's romantic biopic Bride of the Wind and 2000's Lost Souls with Winona Ryder.  

24's first season wrapped in May, with Bauer saving presidential candidate David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert) from an assassination attempt only to have his wife (played by Leslie Hope) killed by his ex-lover, turncoat agent Nina Myers (Sarah Clarke).  

For now, producers are doing their best to keep the plot of season two under wraps. E! Online TV columnist Wanda, however, reports that one storyline making the rounds would have Jack Bauer racing to uncover a terrorist plot involving a nuclear bomb (or "dirty bomb") planted in Los Angeles. But the idea could hit a little too close to home for viewers.  

Aside from Sutherland, original cast members Haysbert (likely to become President Palmer) and Elisha Cuthbert (Bauer's daughter, Kim) are among those slated to return for season two. At least we think they are.  

Meanwhile, it seems the only person who is talking is deceased. Sutherland's "dead" on-screen wife, Hope, recently voiced skepticism about the show's second season, telling Britain's Guardian that Fox higher-ups wanted more "beautiful women in their 20s" on the show.  

"Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch, and it all comes back to one man. The business is all about money," she said. "When they put out a casting call for a bunch of beautiful women in their 20s, you have to ask yourself why."  

Hope also voiced dismay over the departure of 24's director and coexecutive producer, Stephen Hopkins, who's been cited as one of the main creative forces behind the first season. (For the record, reps at 20th Century Fox Television say Hopkins was asked to direct some of the early episodes for next season, but scheduling conflicts prevented him from doing so. No word on what role, if any, he will play in the series next season.)  

"The tone might shift into a new area," Hope continued. "For the sake of the show, I'd be concerned about that."
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2002, 10:14pm »

'24' Calls It A Day  
NY Post  

INSOMNIAC fans of Fox's "24" rejoice: FX will air the entire first season for 24 hours straight during the Labor Day weekend.  

The "24" marathon will kick off at midnight on Saturday, Aug. 31, and run throughout Sunday, culminating with the finale at 11 p.m. A six-disc "24" DVD comes out two weeks later.  

Fox premieres the second season on Tuesday, Oct. 29, with a commercial-free episode sponsored by Ford.  

The show - starring Keifer Sutherland - recently received 10 Emmy nominations (including best drama, lead actor, directing and writing).  

Meanwhile, "24" isn't getting the only cable marathon treatment. TNT will air 11 consecutive hours of "Witchblade" on Sunday, Aug. 25. The "Witchblade"-a-thon is scheduled from noon to 11 p.m. that day in preparation of the show's second-season finale, which airs Aug. 26.  
IP Logged
tahitisweetie
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20th, 2002, 2:03pm »

Thanks for posting the premier date for 24.  Aside from Survivor, this is the show I never miss.

Love it.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31st, 2002, 8:17am »

'24' Premiere Clocks Record Ratings
Wed, Oct 30, 2002 05:10 PM PDT  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - FOX finally got some good news when the final ratings for the season premiere of "24" were announced Wednesday (Oct. 30).

The thriller drew its biggest audience ever Tuesday night for the first hour of another very long day for federal counter-terrorism agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland). About 13.5 million people watched the commercial-free premiere -- which was bookended by two big promotional spots for Ford -- putting "24" ahead of all its competition in the 9 p.m. timeslot.

"The Guardian" on CBS finished second with 12.8 million viewers, although it scored a higher household rating (8.9) than "24" (8.0) -- which means that people were more likely to watch "24" in groups.

"That '70s Show" also scored well for FOX, averaging 11.2 million viewers for back-to-back episodes at 8 p.m. The two shows dominated the young-adult demographics, giving the network a nightly win among the advertiser-coveted groups of adults 18-34 and 18-49.

FOX's performance Tuesday is a bright spot after a couple of disappointing performances recently. In the past week, the network has had to deal with the cancellation of its much-touted series "girls club" after only two airings and the fact that baseball's World Series, although it allowed FOX to win last week's Nielsen race, drew its lowest ratings ever.

The trick for "24" will be keeping its audience for the entire season, in which each episode corresponds to an hour of Bauer's day as he tries to track down a terrorist-controlled nuclear device in Los Angeles. The series premiered to 11.6 million viewers last year but slipped later on, averaging 8.6 million for the season.

FOX will re-air the season premiere at 9 p.m. ET Monday (Nov. 4), in the slot being vacated by "girls club." The network had originally planned to show a "Boston Public" rerun that hour.  

IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2002, 9:04am »

Second Chances for '24'
Sun, Nov 3, 2002 11:58 AM PDT  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - With 'girls club' cancelled, FOX needs to fill the Mondays at 9 p.m. ET slot fast. This week at least, the programming problem will be solved by a reairing of "24's" second season premiere.

Those who missed the Oct. 29 premiere have another chance to catch up with the next day chronicled in Jack Bauer's (Kiefer Sutherland) beleaguered life on Monday, Nov. 4 at 9 p.m. ET following "Boston Public."

While the season premiere aired without commercial breaks, the reairing will not -- so those taping should make room for a few extra minutes at the end.

For those who still miss it, basic cable network FX will also air the episode, "Day 2: 8-9 a.m." at 11 p.m. ET on Monday, Nov. 4.

New episodes of "24" air Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. ET on FOX.  

IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12th, 2002, 9:48am »

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Commanding yet guarded, President David Palmer addresses the press corps, assuring them that although the situation is grave, everything is under control.  

It's a scene from an upcoming hour of Fox's real-time action series "24" (Tuesday, 9 p.m. Eastern), being shot at a suburban community college that is doubling for a presidential retreat-turned-crisis bunker.  

The call sheet for Scene 940 denotes the cast as "2a and atmos." "Atmos" -- for background atmosphere -- refers to the agitated media throng and ubiquitous Secret Service agents. "2a" is Dennis Haysbert, who plays the courtly Palmer and has the series' No. 2 billing.  

The call sheet later drops the shorthand and uses Haysbert's own name when referring to his character. A mistake, obviously, but an understandable one: Haysbert displays the same decorous manner off-screen as on.  

"I like to think of myself as having some dignity and integrity," he says between scenes. "I like showing that off in my work, because there is so much being shown in the other direction. I feel it is my duty to maintain a certain kind of decorum in the characters I perform."  

In last year's Emmy-nominated premiere season of "24," Palmer, then a senator running for president, was the target of an assassination attempt. He was saved by Special Agent Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.  

This season's plot takes place more than a year later, with the series continuing its unique serial format in which each one-hour episode represents one hour in a one-day, 24-hour storyline. As the clock ticks down during this year's day-in-the-life, Bauer tries to save Los Angeles from a nuclear attack by Middle Eastern terrorists.  

Having created Palmer to be the country's first black president, the show's executive producer, Joel Surnow, says it was an easy choice to cast Haysbert. "He has so much presence. He projects such intelligence and composure."  

"Palmer is totally secure in what he means to the country and what he means to himself," says Haysbert.  

'You can't live stereotypically'
Personally, Haysbert has taken as a mantra the words Sidney Poitier's character spoke to his father in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," the 1967 movie about racial prejudice and interracial romance: "You think of yourself as a colored man. I see myself as a man."  

Reciting that statement nearly to the word, Haysbert says, "What that meant to me was the fact that I'm black -- everybody sees that -- that's not who I am, that's what I am. Who I am is something inside and what I convey to people in my life. You can't live stereotypically."  

Although he feels blessed with diverse roles, Haysbert criticizes a racial disparity in Hollywood, both in pay and in opportunities for leading roles for minority actors who have triumphed in supporting parts.  

In 1992, he starred opposite Michelle Pfeiffer in "Love Field," about a couple drawn to each other in the troubled aftermath of the 1963 assassination of President Kennedy.  

Now, he appears in another story of interracial love -- "Far From Heaven," set in 1957. Haysbert plays Raymond Deagan, a gardener who befriends Julianne Moore's Connecticut housewife. The film, which also stars Dennis Quaid, opened November 8 in New York and Los Angeles.  

Born in San Mateo, California, Haysbert grew up a fan of classic movies in which "you had to be moved by the people on the screen, moved by their souls, their eyes, the way their bodies moved, and, largely, by the words they said."  

Close to the vest
After studying at New York's American Academy of Dramatic Arts, he broke into television on an episode of "Lou Grant" in the late '70s and later played "Stuff" Wade in the 1981 firefighter series "Code Red." In 1999, he co-starred as secret agent and government scientist Dr. Theodore Moss in the sci-fi series "Now & Again." A notable movie role was Pedro Cerrano, the voodoo fanatic outfielder in all three "Major League" comedies.  

"I still remain very fond of that character ... it was probably the most fun I've had on set, ever," says Haysbert.  

While expansive about most things, Haysbert is guarded about his family life. He has two children, ages 8 and 11, but says, "I don't like to mention their names. They're just kids being kids; I love them to death."  

He's also tight-lipped about his age.  

"I'm not telling," he teases when asked to confirm a birth date of June 2, 1954. Smiling, he says he'd prefer to read, "Whatever his age is he still looks as good as when he was ..."
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 9:10am »

'24' May Be Hazardous to Actors' Health
Thu, Dec 12, 2002 02:01 PM PDT  

by Kate O'Hare
Zap2it, TV News  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Apparently saving Los Angeles from nuke-wielding terrorists may not just be dangerous for the fictional characters on FOX's hit espionage drama "24."

According to 20th Century Fox spokesman Chris Alexander, star Kiefer Sutherland -- who plays counter-terrorism agent Jack Bauer -- tripped while coming out of his trailer and damaged his kneecap, forcing him to walk with a cane.

Sutherland has continued to work, but producers have had to shuffle the shooting schedule to accommodate him -- although Alexander says no rewriting has yet had to be done. He also says Sutherland is expected to make a full recovery by January, when the show resumes production after the holiday break.

If any rewriting is eventually needed, it could prove a significant challenge, since the entire season of the series takes place in real time over the course of a single day, with little room in the hard-charging plot to accommodate incapacitated performers.

This isn't the only -- or even the first -- time the show has faced this problem.

Just days before Sutherland's injury, Dennis Haysbert, who plays President David Palmer, broke his hand by slamming it on a desk during a dramatic scene. Fortunately, the hand did not require a cast, and Haysbert has been soldiering on as he recovers.

To top it all off, young actress Elisha Cuthbert, who plays Jack's daughter, Kim, had a scary experience early in November. She was set to do a scene with a cougar, so the animal's trainer suggested she should introduce herself to the big cat -- which bit her on the hand.

Production was temporarily suspended as Cuthbert went to the hospital, but no stitches were needed. The actress did have to go back and shoot the scene, but not with the same feline co-star.

"I think that cougar was fired," says Alexander.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.