Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:25pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Boston Legal »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Other Television Shows
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Boston Legal
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2 3  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Boston Legal  (Read 2087 times)
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

Boston Legal
« on: Dec 14th, 2004, 12:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone watch this show?    It comes on in our area just after Desperate Housewives.
It is definitely a tongue in cheek legal hour!

A spin-off of the ABC series, "The Practice", Boston Legal shows the law in a diverse tone. In an episode from that series' final season, Alan Shore (James Spader) was fired from Young, Frutt, and Berluti and decides to work for Crane, Poole, and Schmidt where the series takes place. The series focuses on an assembly of civil litigators in an upscale Boston law firm. These intelligent attorneys have to deal with what the law can and cannot allow them to do and how to fight what they can't do. They will have to confront social and moral issues while basically trying to pursue happiness. This enigmatically humorous series keeps us on our toes and shows just what a law firm is willing to do to show what the law can really be like.  

Characters  
Alan Shore is the kind of man that you love to hate. His malevolent strategies used in the courtroom always get him the attention and the reputation he deserves. When he is not stretching the law beyond the limits, he is jumping from one relationship to another. His intelligence and stamina is one that is rare to find in people and knowing that, he has no problem showing it off. A lot of people say that the only thing he has is his egotism, but he proves them wrong when he actually shows the real reasoning for his actions.  

While working at Crane, Poole, and Schmidt, Alan has formed a special bond with head honcho, Denny Crane (William Shatner). Denny Crane is a strong, talented attorney who does not take any crap from anyone. He speaks his mind, does whatever it takes to get the job done and lets everyone knows what it means when he says: Denny Crane. Unfortunately, he is coming of the older age and tends to forget a lot things and he ends up off course a lot of the time (usually at the wrong time). However, he sees this as a minor detail and uses his might and supremacy to override it so he can prove those wrong when they say he is "losing it".  

Other associates include Lori Colson (Monica Potter), who is a junior partner at the prestigious law firm. She works hard to be the best attorney she can be. She does tend to let the law obtain control over her personal life, even though it is an unfulfilling one. That could be the reason she is usually in her co-worker's business, that and the fact that all of the associates have some kind of business with Alan Shore who she is becoming strangely attracted to.  

Next we have Tara Wilson (Rhona Mitra), a paralegal who journeyed with Alan when he came aboard to Crane, Poole, and Schmidt after she herself was fired from Young, Frutt, and Berluti for lying for him. She is mostly centered around Alan because she feels most comfortable with him. While trying to get her law degree, she is mainly trying to stick it out one day at a time and sitting back to see what mishaps her fellow employees are involved in.  

Sally Heep (Lake Bell), is a young attorney who probably is the only one out of the group who does not have an "I Don't Care" immoral attitude when it comes to the law or her life like she feels everyone else around her has. While trying to develop her character as a starting our attorney, she has been letting her heart get in the way because of her recent ending relationship with Alan.  

Brad Chase (Mark Valley) is a gifted attorney who was working at the office located in Washington D.C., but was forced to join the practice in Boston because the bosses wanted him to watch Denny and make sure he does not spin out of control. While trying to do that, he has to deal with the emotional stirrings between him and Sally after their physical relationship ended on a sour note. He also tries to deal with his jealousy of Alan's talent and sex appeal by placing bets with him on the cases they end up with and trying to find a weakness of Alan's that he can use against him.  

Reoccurring Characters  
Reoccurring character includes Edwin Poole (Larry Miller), who has only been seen in two episodes because he is in a mental hospital for having a nervous breakdown. He managed to escape once and ended up taking a case during an arraignment. There have been rumors that he will return again to show off his kookiness. Then there is Paul Lewiston (Rene Auberjonois), who is a senior partner at the law firm. He tries to maintain control over the office but finds it hard dealing with Alan's unlawful tactics in the courtroom, his sexual relationships with the woman at the firm, Denny's constant erratic behavior and the fact he is seen as a gallant individual from up and coming attorneys.  

Characters Coming  
In recent news, actress Candice Bergen is set to play Shirley Schmidt of the Crane, Poole, and Schmidt. No news on what her character is going to be like, but will immediately become part of the show's stars when she makes her first appearance during the midseason.  
Freddie Prinze Jr.'s character, Donny Crane son of Denny Crane, was suppose to appear in two episodes, but so far we have only seen his character once. There might be a possibility for a return.  

David E. Kelley is executive producer and creator of the series. Scott Kaufer and Bill D'Elia are executive producers, Janet Knutsen McCann is the producer and Peter Ocko and Mike Listo serve as the co-executive producers.  

Jeff Rake was one of the executive producers, but has now departed. So far, he is still credited as one of the executive producers so I imagine his name will stop being featured during the midseason.
IP Logged

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and
can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
bunnielou
ForumsNet Member
USA 

I'm older now but still running against the wind.

View Profile

Re: Boston Legal
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 8:54am »

Luci - I love this show!  Alan Shore is such a wicked, yet playful character.  And Denny Crane is an absolutely quirky patriarch.

When I heard they were bringing on Candice Bergen, my first thought was OMG!  The current ensemble cast is fantastic.  But adding Candice to the mix should knock this show into the stratosphere!  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
IP Logged

That God, which ever lives and loves,
One God, one law, one element,
And one far-off divine event,
To which the whole creation moves.

Tennyson
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 10:42am »

It definitely is "off the wall".  We enjoy it, for by the time it comes on,  
9PM here, we're ready for a few laughs!
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2004, 10:42am by luci » IP Logged

yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 9:03am »

We love it too, a great replacement for The Practice, which we watched faithfully for years, and with the lead-in of Home Makeover and Desperate Housewives, ABC has pretty much taken over the Sunday night lineup...
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
bunnielou
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 8:36am »

Did you guys catch the last eppy?  Wasn't it the best yet??!!

Denny Crane cracks me up!  After he and Alan Shore grilled the two cops, Alan had complimented him on his stern, aggressive manner and Denny said it was easy today because his balls hurt!  :laff:

I was also a big The Practice fan, and find this show a great replacement.
IP Logged

Tennyson
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:36am »

SUNDAY NIGHT was HILARIOUS  Cool
IP Logged

Colleen
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Proud to be Canadian!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 7:14pm »

My house in tuned into "Boston Legal" every Sunday Night, I agree with all of you, it is a great show, Denny and Alan always crack me up...I gotta Love Boston Leagal...
IP Logged
bunnielou
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 9:56am »

I can't wait for tonight!  Candace Bergen arrives as one of the founding partners, coming back to bring order to the firm.
IP Logged

Tennyson
bunnielou
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 10:13am »

OMG...Is it true??  First they bring in Candace Bergen (who has really turned the firm on its ear), and now we've got Betty White as Alan's new secretary.  LMAO!!!

Could this show get any better??!!
IP Logged

Tennyson
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 8:12pm »

I love the character Betty White plays (can't think of the name, but she originated the role on The Practice), but then again, I've always loved Betty White.  She is just naturally hilarious!

Also, Shatner won a Golden Globe for his performance of Denny Crane!  Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
bunnielou
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 10:40am »

Did anyone else catch last night's episode?  This show is so well-written ... both humorous and profound at the same time.

I about choked on my beer when Bernard (the meek serial killer who knocks women upside the head w/ a skillet) was talking w/ Betty White's character.  She wanted to take him to church to save him.  He said he was Jewish.  Her argument was that there were no true Jewish serial killers so "if you're out murdering people, on some level you must want to be Christian." :laff:
IP Logged

Tennyson
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 6:48pm »

Last night was hilarious!  It's about time we laughed at the legal system.  
Bernard is hysterical with bumbling Betty White wanting to save him.
Freddie Prinze Jr. is a good addition to the show, maybe he will come and go every so often.
And the attornies wanting to bed every woman they meet?  
HA, so true to life Roll Eyes
IP Logged

rcs_mum
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Proud Mom!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 9:03pm »

Bernard and  Betty never returned after leaving the office.  I was worried Bernard is up to his old tricks.
So happy The Practice gave us such a hilarious spinoff!
IP Logged
luci
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 11:37am »

Maybe Betty is baptising him or vice versa.  AND they could have made a LOVE connection Tongue
IP Logged

bunnielou
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 10:53pm »

Last Sunday just wasn't the same without my Boston Legal fix.  I hope it's on this coming Sunday!  I can't wait to find out what happened between Betty and Bernard.
IP Logged

Tennyson
Pages: all 1 2 3  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.