Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 5:25am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « 'Extreme Makeover' wannabe: Are you sick? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Reality Television Shows
   Other Reality Shows
(Moderators: Heather, Isle_be_back)
   'Extreme Makeover' wannabe: Are you sick?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 'Extreme Makeover' wannabe: Are you sick?  (Read 587 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Mar 28th, 2006, 12:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Memo reveals show looking for malady, tragedy

Tuesday, March 28, 2006; Posted: 9:38 a.m. EST (14:38 GMT)  

NEW YORK (AP) -- If your family has multiple children with Down Syndrome, a parent with skin cancer or was robbed in a home invasion, ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" may be looking to build you a house.

A producer for ABC's hit Sunday-night show sent a memo -- distributed to executives at several ABC affiliates -- looking for particular maladies or tragedies to feature on the air.

The memo, written by the show's family-casting director Charisse Simonian, was picked up and distributed widely by "The Smoking Gun" Web site on Monday.

In addition to Down Syndrome and skin cancer, "Extreme Makeover" is looking for families with very specific diseases -- muscular dystrophy, ALS or Lou Gehrig Disease, progeria (a genetic disorder where children age prematurely) and a rare disorder where children cannot feel pain.

Show producers also say they are looking to feature a family that has lost a child in a drunk-driving accident, someone whose home has been robbed and vandalized, and hate-crime victims.

The ABC reality show stars builder Ty Pennington and a team that comes in to build a home for families in need. Cancer victims, people who have lost homes to fire and mold and military families with injured veterans have all been in past episodes.

Currently, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is in the midst of four shows attempting to help communities in the path of Hurricane Katrina.

The show's executive producer, Tom Forman, said he was "a little perplexed" at why The Smoking Gun found the memo so interesting.

"It is a woman whose job it is to find families who need help, to find families that need a break and a new home and may not know about this television show," he said. After filming 60 episodes, producers are looking for new stories to keep things interesting for viewers.

The Smoking Gun headlined its story "ABC's 'Extreme' Exploitation" and said the memo contained a "creepy wish list of woe."

"At the end of the day you're talking about going to someone who needs it badly and deserves it badly and building them a home that makes life a little easier for them," Forman said. "It's hard to figure out how that's exploitive."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.  
IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

Re: 'Extreme Makeover' wannabe: Are you sick?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 5:37pm »

That's a little wierd.. searching out people with different diseases.  Lips Sealed
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 11:26pm »

Granted it sounds strange.. but that's what makes televion.. and he's right, if every show was one particular thing (i.e. kids with cancer).. then we'd all be saying they were exploiting kids with cancer... it's a lose-lose situation... I think what they do is great, and they're trying to help people who need help...
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Red
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

untamed_red  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 11:33pm »

I think what it may be - and just speculation here - is that they are trying to make the "causes" as broad as possible - to widen everyone's perspective on what's out there, and what kind of people (or diseases or charities) need help (whether in donations or volunteers)
IP Logged
Jeff
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Get down tonight ;)

jjh295   hane295
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 10:13am »

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the memo. If they build a home for a random family that is doing fine financially with no real struggles, viewers will say "WTF?! There are people who need this more!" Just watching the show, you can already see that this show just picks the people in distress. You don't need a memo to see this and if the people at The Smoking Gun needed it, then they aren't too quick on the up-take.
IP Logged
AmberJ
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:34pm »

I find when I watch this show that I'm reminded of all the hardships life has to offer. I become more appreciative of my life when I watch this show. It also introduces the world to lesser known illnesses and problems and perhaps sparks an idea to get more invovled to find treatment?

The show helps people in need when so little is going right... gives them a new sense of hope...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.