Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:23am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Are they going to PHILIPPINES?? anyone knows? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Amazing Race
   Amazing Race Gossip, News & Recaps
(Moderators: JP, Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Are they going to PHILIPPINES?? anyone knows?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2 3  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Are they going to PHILIPPINES?? anyone knows?  (Read 2799 times)
Sirico18
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Are they going to PHILIPPINES?? anyone knows?
« on: Jul 17th, 2003, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi there guys, i'm just wondering if they will ever go to PHILIPPINES. I think it would be great if they come there....coz a lot of amazing places could be found in this country. hope they will...hehe..
IP Logged
Tsutroi
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile Email

Re: Are they going to PHILIPPINES?? anyone knows?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 10:24pm »

It's very unlikely that they will be going to the Philippines anytime soon.  Although the country wants the outside visitors to believe it's safe to foreigners but it really isn't.  Being mostly Catholics, the south has some rather dangerous and extremist Muslim factions who not only targets and kidnaps Westerners but also will torture or kill them for political purposes if necessary.  Australia and Canada recently pulled out of Manila citing security concerns which also prompted the European Union to follow suits.  Though they have since returned, after a very loud complaint from the Filipino Government, this area of the world is still not safe for Westerners whether in Manila or elsewhere.
IP Logged
Sirico18
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 10:26pm »

aww...but I heard some rumors that they will going to......or they had already..I don't really know if that's right or wrong.....but it would be great you know If ever they will go to the Philippines.
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2003, 8:47pm »

I wish they could pass through our country... It would be great....

I beg to disagree to say that the Philippines is unsafe specially for Westerners.... the danger is hundred of miles away from Manila or the northern provinces... the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf is only in Basilan, a small island in the south of the archipelago near Borneo...  

Westerners are safe here in the Philippines specially on the Luzon and the Visayan islands... the unrest basically covers the Muslim regions of Mindanao.

The south maybe quite unsafe, but not the northern islands. I being a Filipino is so sad that other western countries have thought of the country as that...   I think it was unjust to generalize the whole country as unsafe...  

I hope they could pass through here... even at least the Manila airport.. hehehe...
IP Logged

Check out my travel blogs at http://www.pautravels.com
filracer
ForumsNet Member

brewedcoffee99  
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21st, 2003, 12:34am »

it would be great if they would include our country, every imaginabe nightmare for a traveller is in the Philippines, traffic, streets having different names,etc.
I wish the producers would consider including us in the next season,its not really  dangerous as foreigners would think.
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21st, 2003, 1:43am »

yup... especially the uneven streets and thoroughfares...   but though at least..  a lot of Filipinos could speak English... specially in the Visayan region....Grin
IP Logged

triggerr20
ForumsNet Member

R&C i lyk

triggerr20  
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:55am »

I don't think the producers would take the risk of losing a few of their racers to extremists although it would be a unique turn of events in AR.  Westerners are afraid of coming to the Philippines and you really can't blame them.  You can't even enter an establishment without having your baggage checked for any bombs or explosives.  There are also frequent news of terrorists trying to break into manila and cause a commotion (Remember the December 2000 bombings?)
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2003, 3:17am »

well they are just gossips... though the escape of Al-Ghozi (Rizal Day bomber), one of the heads of Jemahh Islamiyah (they bombed Bali) of Indonesia last week was very saddening...

i dont know of new threats to manila.. though there is still unrest in parts of Mindanao.. specially in Basilan where the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and Abu Sayyaf are being hunted.. (they are still able to thrive even after tedious hunt for them by the Phil. Army and the US Army and Navy Seals)

well.. actually the news are too much sensationalized here causing fear to foreigners and locals..  

yup... bag inspections in all establishments (malls, schools, hospitals, MRT/LRT, hotels, govt offices, embassies) are still inevitable....its better to be safe than sorry... actually they are just trying to be more vigilant this days specially after that train bombing (Rizal Day Bombing) in 2000 that killed 30 i think and hurt 100+ and 911...

well i still hope that they could have crossed the country.. or at least the next season, they could set an episode or two in the country... they could have one of our  indigenous tribes to bless their teams.... Grin
IP Logged

bigbadmatt
ForumsNet Member

AR4 Rules!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25th, 2003, 1:25am »

As an American who has worked, travelled and lived throughout  Asia, I have to chime in and say that the Philippines is really safer that what international media would have us, Westerners, believe.  It's one of the most beautiful countries in Asia with warm, tropical weather, beaches that have to be seen and felt to be believed and the friendliest people this side of the Pacific.  Filipinos, at heart, are a very welcoming people.  I should know because I've been working here as an expat for the last two years.  Althought the American embassy here usually issues travel bans, it's mostly confined to the southernmost islands.  Other than those places, foreigners are pretty much safe here.   And to those from the Philippines in this board - I just have to say I'm not alone in this love for your country as many of the other expats from other countries like the UK and Germany enjoy your country's many delights as much as I do.  Maboohay! Smiley
IP Logged
triggerr20
ForumsNet Member

R&C i lyk

triggerr20  
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25th, 2003, 7:10pm »

Thanks Matt! I'm glad you enjoy it here.  Smiley
IP Logged
Tsutroi
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile Email

Philippines on coup alert
« Reply #10 on: Jul 26th, 2003, 4:52pm »

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/26/phillipine_coup030726

I am telling you, Philippines is not safe, unfortunately and I don't buy stereotypes nor hersays usually, I form my opinion based on usually my travel experience and some diplomatic sources + everything else I read.  

I hope everything is all right for our friends in the Philippines.  It will be quite a while before TAR will step on the islands and it has nothing to do whether or not the Filipinos are friendly or not.  Undoubtedly, they are nice people.  But the continuous political turmoil and the increasing terrorist threat is not to be ignored.  Frankly, I am even a bit surprised that TAR4 went to Seoul, South Korea.  Sure the producer talked about some last minute change of itineary due to it [ he hinted it] but if I were the producers, I wouldnt' take any chances and to me South Korea is safe but anything can happen at any minutes and I wouldnt' take any chances with my racers.  My hunch tells me South Korea must have really lobbied hard for TAR to go there for promoting Pynchung's bid for the 2012 Winter Olympics which they ultimately lost to Vancouver just a few weeks ago.
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 7:29pm »

im sorry tsutroi if you have perceived my country as that... i hope that you don't believe all that you read... things get hyped up too much this days.... also I hope that one day you get to visit our country and I guarantee you that you will have a great time here... Grin

bigbadmatt, Salamat (Thanks) for supporting us and i wish you a happy and great stay here, even though the country has problems of corruption and turmoil in the south. Mabuhay! (Long Live!)

about S.Korea, i think it was great that they visited Seoul... also i think that it is a safe country coz the problem on the Korean Peninsula is only confined on North Korea, which is communist...

i wish that people of this board would clear up the fear of the region for existing terrorist threats in some of the countries, coz like any other country in the world, i know that you can never be safe, even in the safest place that you know... and this was proven by the 9/11 disaster... every nation in the world suffer the fear of terrorism yet some may not be as powerful as others... Grin
IP Logged

Rachel
ForumsNet Member
USA 

"Be that which you expect others to be."

ae_rachel  
View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 9:20pm »

Well spoken pau_p1!!!!  Cool   Cool   Cool  Cool  Cool
IP Logged

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrafice the gift." -Steve Prefontaine
username
ForumsNet Member
Hong_Kong 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 11:16pm »

Yep.  I agree with all this.  You can't judge a country by one place.  After all, lots of other programs used it.
IP Logged

Hello! Wink
bigbadmatt
ForumsNet Member

AR4 Rules!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28th, 2003, 12:38am »

There I go... I open my big mouth and something bad happens in the Philippines  Wink  Seriously though, I know it's quite alarming to read or watch a military standoff but things are normal here now barely 1 day after the incident. With these instabilities continuing to happen though,  I understand how the Philippines can be viewed as a dangerous place for something like TAR to take place in - and that is such a big loss.

To pau_p1 and trigerr20 - Salamat too !
IP Logged
Pages: all 1 2 3  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.