Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 10:30pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Philippine pit stops in AR5 »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Amazing Race
   Amazing Race Gossip, News & Recaps
(Moderators: JP, Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Philippine pit stops in AR5
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Philippine pit stops in AR5  (Read 4721 times)
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

Philippine pit stops in AR5
« on: Jul 5th, 2004, 2:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are some location spoilers, nothing more.....

Philippine pit stops in 'Amazing Race 5'
Posted: 8:49 PM (Manila Time) | Jul. 03, 2004
By Joyce C. Abaño
Inquirer News Service

THE AWARD-WINNING reality show on television, "The Amazing Race" of CBS, is back with its fifth installment and it includes the Philippines as one of its pit stops.

According to AXN Asia, the Coconut Palace on Roxas Boulevard and the Lagen Island Resort of the El Nido Resorts in Palawan are the last two pit stops on the show. The Coconut Palace is made mainly of materials from the coconut tree mixed with other indigenous materials. The Lagen Island Resort is a self-contained island resort on four acres on the northern tip of Palawan.

The cast and crew of the show spent two days in the Philippines before going back to the United States, said AXN Asia. The other pit stop locations are Uruguay, Argentina, Russia, Egypt, Africa, United Arab Emirates, India and New Zealand.

"Choosing pit stop locations can be very thought-provoking," show host Phil Keoghan said in a phone conference hosted by AXN Asia. "A lot of people contribute ideas but we tend to gravitate to those places where we're welcome, where we know we can get what we need to put the teams in challenging
situations."

In "The Amazing Race 5," 11 teams of two participants each travel 72,000 miles on six continents for approximately 30 days, going through a series of mental
and physical challenges to win the $1-million prize. Pairs who are the farthest behind are gradually eliminated. The first team to arrive at the final destination wins the prize.

Stronger teams

While previous editions of the race got off to a fairly genial start, the fifth season is strikingly different, more daring and interesting as sparks fly and injuries and hard feelings surface among the contestants almost right from the starting line at Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles.

"This is the best series that we've ever shot, in my opinion," said the 35-year-old Keoghan.

The show won the Emmy for Outstanding Reality Competition Program in 2003.

"We've always had great teams," Keoghan added. "But (in this season) the teams are strong. All these teams deliver."

This season's lineup includes twins Kami and Karli French, brothers and restaurant owners Marshall and Lance Hudes, dating couple Colin Guinn and Christie Woods, married parents Chip and Kim McAllister, best friends Linda Ruiz and Karen Heins, dating couple Alison Irwin and Donald Patrick, once-engaged couple Dennis Frentsos and Erika Shay, father and daughter Jim and
Marsha McCoy, cousins Charla Faddoul and Mirna Hindoyan, dating models Brandon Davidson and Nicole O'Brian, and Internet dating couple Bob Barron and Joyce Nicolo.

Delaying device

Keoghan said a new element called "Yield" has been added to the show. "It's a device that any of the teams can use once during the entire race," he said. "It allows a team to slow down a competitor."

As host, Keoghan travels all over the world with the contestants, gives the teams their instructions and is also the bearer of bad news.

"It's always hard to do the elimination," he said. "There are times when you feel you have more of a connection to one team than another and it really breaks your heart to see them go."

The fifth season is the toughest one they've had to do because the teams are getting more savvy, he said.

"We had to make stuffs that are much more challenging not only for the participants but also for the viewers," he said. "We had to make it more unpredictable and a bigger challenge."

Fulfilling dreams

Keoghan is working on a new show called "NOW (No Opportunity Wasted)," a new series that will be shown on the Discovery Channel in September. He is also on
the verge of finishing a new book with the same title.

"It's a show where we give people 72 hours, 3,000 dollars and the chance to fulfill a dream, whether it's facing a fear or putting on a stage play."

The book is a self-help volume on his personal philosophy inspired by a near-death experience he had when he was 19. "I've gone on 'Oprah' and talked
about this philosophy a couple of times, and I was approached about making a book out of it. I'm hoping to get back on 'Oprah' for a third time when I already have the book.

"I hope people who will read the book will make it their inspiration to go out there and do something with their lives," Keoghan said. "But of course, not when 'The Amazing Race' show is on."

"The Amazing Race 5" will run on AXN every Wednesday at 8 p.m., with a special 90-minute premiere on July 7, all over Asia.
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Philippine pit stops in AR5
« Reply #1 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 8:13pm »

wow.. nice post Jaypee... and hey... that list of countries has just told us that some of the spoilers were true...  hmm anyways... at least its only just the countiries...Cheesy

wow... its just less than 24hrs more before the race begins...Cheesy  Cool
IP Logged

Check out my travel blogs at http://www.pautravels.com
Psycho Pericles
ForumsNet Member
USA 

yo

Psycho+Pericles
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 8:46pm »

Hopefully a quick 24 hours...I don't think I could handle much more

and we've known those countries for awhile in spoliers...lol
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2004, 8:46pm by Psycho Pericles » IP Logged

- Psychooooooo
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 9:45am »

Here's an info about the Coconut Palace:
http://www.manosa.com/cocopalace.htm

COCONUT PALACE

Cultural Center of the Philippines Complex, Manila  

Inspired by the salakot hat of the farmer, the Coconut Palace majestically stands within the Philippine Cultural Center Complex. Highlighted as one of the CCP’s most striking structure for its architecture and interiors, the coconut triumphs as the ultimate “Tree of Life”. From its roots to its trunk, its bark, fruit, flower and its shell, all have been the source of design forms, elements, and ornaments throughout the structure.  

The Coconut Palace stands as a shining example of the ingenuity of the Filipino. It interprets, transforms and manipulates indigenous materials into works of arts that best simplifies the unique craft of the building and design of the Philippines.  
IP Logged
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 9:54am »

Here's an info about Lagen Island Resort:
http://www.reefrainfrst.com/philippineslagen.htm

Wow, now when will I ever experience this place?

El Nido Lagen Island Resort
Palawan
Philippines

© El Nido Resorts

Lagen Island Resort is located in Bacuit Bay inside a marine sanctuary, next to the quiet little town of El Nido. Part of the El Nido Island chain, this northern Palawan area is known for great scuba diving, snorkeling and other watersports. The crystal clear waters, hidden lagoon, dramatic limestone cliffs and abundant marine life makes it a magical place.  
Lagen Island Resort has Water Cottages ( 18 ) built on stilts over the water, Beachfront Cottages (9), Forest Rooms (20) and Suites (4) to choose from. Each cottage and room is furnished with locally produced furniture and artifacts, and equipped with air-conditioning, mini bars, telephones and CD players. Each unit also has a private veranda with vistas over the cove, gardens or Bacuit Bay.

The resort's restaurant has great views and two dining areas, indoor and outdoor. Enjoy sumptuous buffet meals of local seafood and a variety of Filipino, Asian and western specialties. The poolside bar offers snacks and great tropical drinks.  

Lagen Island is famous for great hiking. Its lush interior shelters many types of wildlife and birds. Kayaking around the coves here is excellent, and visiting bat caves a fun experience. For other activities, try waterskiing, Hobie Cat sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling or scuba diving.  

© El Nido Resorts

El Nido has a diverse marine life with over 200 species of tropical fish and more than 100 species of corals. It is the nesting ground of three species of endangered sea turtle, the green sea turtle, hawksbill turtle and olive ridley turtle. Marine mammals such as dolphins, whales and dugongs feed here. Different types of sharks, including the world largest fish, the whale shark, has been sighted here.    
With 25 great dive sites available, diving at El Nido is varied and exciting. The resort's professional dive center offers scuba courses, rental equipment and has experienced and friendly dive instructors. Snorkeling is also fabulous, and there are many diverse snorkeling sites.    

Nearby islands offer great opportunities for daytrips. Cadlao Island, the largest in the chain, is a lush tropical island with gorgeous white sandy beaches. Dilumacad Island is an ideal place for snorkeling and picnics, and has an underwater tunnel and reef for scuba divers. Entatula Island has a lovely and safe swimming beach, good for beginning swimmers. Matinloc Island is made for snorkelers and scuba divers with its secret beach accessible only by a small opening through a limestone wall. There are also four other superb dive sites around the island.  

Miniloc Island is famous for its lagoons and great sea kayaking, snorkeling and swimming. There are seven dive sites around the island. Paglugaban Island has mangrove areas with hundreds of egrets and other wildlife. Pangulasian Island is good for a whole day's trip with its splendid beaches, snorkeling and diving. The island also offers good hiking and birdwatching. Tapiutan Island is located further out of the bay facing the South China Sea and offers rich marine life and excellent scuba diving and snorkeling. Vigan Island's sandspit creates two fabulous shallow swimming areas during low tides. On the Palawan mainland you can kayak into caves, dive or snorkel the extensive reef and visit many attractions.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2004, 9:55am by JP » IP Logged
sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 1:48am »

wow! that means there are two episodes in the philippines. i am *so* excited. i just hate it that i can't watch the live feed because i have classes at that time.
IP Logged
CallMeRob
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

kopee_bui@yahoo.com  
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 4:25am »

The other thing...in the video preview I've seens some kalesa(s) and they will be in Intramuros coz they can not be in Ilocos to use the kalesa thats far from the pack so...they went to Intramuros and I think they used a jeepney going to Cococnut Palace
IP Logged

Please give my blog, daily clicks!
http://inghinyero.blogspot.com
And my reality show overload blog:
http://inghinyero-reality.blogspot.com
JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 10:40am »

I just realized this now, is it possible to have two pitstops in one country? Pitstops are places where Phil says "Mickey and Minnie, you are the last team to arrive. Etc...", right?
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 7:37pm »

yup it is possible... tar4 had 2 pitstops in malaysia and i think tar3 in a european country....

well.. i think that is a big possiblility that would be having tasks in intramuros and probably a jeepney tour, since it is traditional to us....Cheesy

also possible that they had tasks in puerto princesa before going to el nido... Cheesy

from the prologue video i don't seem to notice much on philippine settings.. unlike UAE's Burj Al Arab and the Sphinx...
IP Logged

JP
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 9:58am »

on Jul 7th, 2004, 7:37pm, pau_p1 wrote:

from the prologue video i don't seem to notice much on philippine settings.. unlike UAE's Burj Al Arab and the Sphinx...

yeah. maybe it's a surprise for the viewers.

I think they should have visited here when it is the rainy season. Makes it more difficult for them. Floods, stranded flights. Oh, maybe that's too hard.... Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 7:50pm »

no... they can't come here on a rainy season... it would show a negative side of the country... a country that floods...
IP Logged

CallMeRob
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

kopee_bui@yahoo.com  
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 10:56pm »

Ei....in Vietnam, Season 3...its raining...I am thinking after Season 5...we are going to see anopther Philippine sighting pau ber alert they might be in the vicinity I am checking out here in Subic Bay.
IP Logged

Please give my blog, daily clicks!
http://inghinyero.blogspot.com
And my reality show overload blog:
http://inghinyero-reality.blogspot.com
Pau
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Proud to be Filipino!

pau_so_yu  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 9th, 2004, 12:59am »

ok... i'll keep my eyes open if they happen to run along the streets of Makati...Grin
IP Logged

Deidara
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

*Art. is a BLAST!*

vergil_yamato_16   amante_no_miko@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Jul 9th, 2004, 3:02am »

wahhhhhh.........
if they went to my house i'd be so happy!
especially if they (in season 3) went to my HOUSE!

ehehehehehe!
IP Logged

Deidara
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

*Art. is a BLAST!*

vergil_yamato_16   amante_no_miko@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Jul 9th, 2004, 3:04am »

noooooooo........
roxas boulevard?!

it's too far from my place!
IP Logged

Pages: all 1 2  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.