Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2024, 9:58am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « The Metropolis Amy O'Hara Interview, Part One »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Exclusive! - Survivors Speak to ForumsNet
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   The Metropolis Amy O'Hara Interview, Part One
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Metropolis Amy O'Hara Interview, Part One  (Read 938 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

The Metropolis Amy O'Hara Interview, Part One
« on: Jan 17th, 2006, 9:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This past week, I had the distinct pleasure to chat with Survivor: Guatemala cast member Amy O’Hara.  Below is the first of a multipart interview with Amy, in which she discusses her life pre-game and some of her strategy during the game. The next part will be posted later in the week.

To refresh your memory, Amy O’Hara was the 39 year-old police sergeant from Revere, Massachusetts, who was originally put on the Yaxha tribe and remained on Yaxha after the episode 4 tribal swap.  She’s best remembered for naming Blake ‘Golden Boy', playing through a number of challenges with an injured ankle and lightheartedly ‘threatening’ Gary if she found out he actually WAS a former pro football player.  She was voted out in episode seven after 18 days and left flashing her tribe mates a ‘rock on’ sign.

MS: Is it true that you had applied for Big Brother, but were instead picked for Survivor?
Amy: Actually I was a semi-finalist for Guatemala and I didn't make it.  And then there was an open audition for big Brother in Boston and I went to that and I made the finals for big Brother and was flown out to Los Angeles.  But I didn't make Big Brother.  Then I got a call about week before the cast was to fly out to Guatemala and they needed a last-minute addition and they remembered me from big Brother because it is of course it's CBS.  So they gave me a week's notice to be on Survivor Guatemala and I said "I'm game you know".

MS: It's thought that you filled in for Tina Scheer, who is in Panama now>  Tina had been selected to go to Guatemala but had to drop out about a week before shooting due to the tragic death of her only son.
Amy: Oh really?!  Oh my God, you know I heard that too!  Oh wow, well that's good that she's in there this season. Good luck to her, you know?

MS: Had you been a fan of Survivor before you were cast?
Amy: Oh yes!  I'd been a fan of Survivor since the very beginning.

MS: What did you do to prepare yourself for your Survivor experience?
Amy: I had one week's notice.  Basically I couldn't prepare in any way.  I had to get my stuff squared away with work and things at home squared away because I was going to be gone for seven weeks. So, basically, when I was on the plane, you know, to go to the location,  I just mentally started to prepare myself and use my experience as a police officer to help me do that.  Physically if I had had three months notice, I probably would have been working out hard but I didn’t have time to do that in just one week, so I just mentally prepared myself.

MS: Being a fan of the show, during the whole casting process, had you actually thought about how you would play the game strategically?
Amy: I always thought about how I wouldn't go in there guns blazing and being like a big flash of gunpowder, you know?  I would just go in there and make alliances right away because that's your protection right away.  So I always thought I would go in there and I would just be myself, you know what I'm saying?  I get along with all kinds of races of people so I would just be myself and make alliances with people who my instincts said would be all right.

MS: Did you go in with a particular plan, like to be under the radar or a leader?
Amy: My plan was to just go in and be myself.  I knew that at a certain point in the game if I needed to shut my mouth, I could.  But I was just going to be myself and I know when I keep my mouth shut. The game plan was just to make alliances right away with people that my instincts said were good people and just play it by ear.

MS: Well it seemed to work, you weren’t one of the early boots and really became one of the most interesting characters out there…
Amy: Well, I appreciate that.  But I do feel that it’s because I made alliances right away.  That first vote you really don't know anybody, so you're all just searching for who you're going to vote for.  In the first challenge I sort of struggled a little bit, but because I made an alliance already on that hike with Gary, Stephanie and Brianna, and we had Morgan and Rafe running back and forth, I was definitely not going home because I had protection because of my alliances.

MS: Did they give you any indication pre-game that the game would start with an 11 mile hike and be so physically grueling?
Amy: We were just told it was going to be very tough, this that and the other thing, but I had already prepared myself that it was going to be tougher than I would think it would be.  So you just go in there knowing it's gonna be extremely tough and that's it, then you deal with it.

MS: What was truly the hardest part of the game?  The bugs? The hunger?  The challenges?  The mental aspect?  The social aspect?
Amy: Well, that's a great question, I mean the mental and social aspect of it.  It didn't bother me…if I had to out and out lie, it was going to be done.  But I didn't really out and out lie, I never had a chance to.  I think the hardest part of the game was when I knew it was inevitable that I was going home. The night I was voted off I knew I was going home because I approached everybody and tried to make a play to get everybody to keep me.  Basically I was in the minority at that point against Bobby Jon, Danni and Brandon, it was only Gary and I left and they were going to vote for me over Gary because they were thinking about strength in competitions.  So I think the hardest part was knowing I was going home and I had to fight back to tears, I wanted to break down, you know, I did not want to leave.  That was just so hard for me.

MS: Some Survivors have said that by the time they got to Tribal Council, after talking to people, they knew they were going that night.  Did you know positively that you were going?
Amy: Yeah, some people knew they were going and didn't fight and some people got blindsided.  I was never going to be blindsided, I was always gonna know.  You know when you're going if you really want to know, and I knew... I told them, ”if I'm going, I want to know”.  Number one because I'm going to secretly try to fight it and, number two, I wanted to be prepared for it.  I didn't want to be blindsided, I wanted to go out fighting.  If you're really smart you know when you're going because every vote up until then you go, ”OK were voting for Dave or Stevie or Rebecca”, but when somebody starts sayin’, “Well I don’t know, we’re gonna wait…”, when somebody starts hemmin’ and hawin’, you know you’re goin’.  For me I definitely knew, definitely.

MS: You injured your ankle during the “Holding Court’ Mayan basketball challenge.  Then you re-injured it during the ‘Boulder Smash’ challenge…how did you deal with your injury while in the game?  
Amy: Oh yeah, you know, I had ankle injuries in the past.  I played women’s professional football…I broke my ankle...career ending...I never went back after my second year.  For me, in life, even now, I’ve had an attitude of ‘never give up’.  And I knew there was no way in hell that I was gonna give up, so when that happened…let me tell you something, that was SO painful, but, this is Survivor, man, you don’t have time to give up.  You know what I’m saying?  If I can just suck it up, I’m gonna make it.  So the first time I sprained it, I sort of hid how bad I sprained it. The second time there was no way I could have hid it…I can’t tell you how much pain I was in.  I don’t know how the hell I did that.  I mentally told myself before the game, “I will not give up no matter what it takes.”   I mean if my arm was falling off, I probably would not have given up either.

MS: They did give you any pain killers or anything like that?
Amy: No…God no.  They don’t give you any painkillers or anything like that.  Nothing.  I would try and elevate my ankle, but I couldn’t stay off it because we had challenges and I wasn’t going to do NOTHING around camp, so I would just elevate it at night and hope to God it would be all right.  I was in pain and there’s nothing you can do about it, you know?

MS: What treatment was necessary after you were voted off?
Amy: When I eventually got home I was in therapy for three months and I just ended it so it’s much better.  But when I first got home, the flexibility of it was outrageous…I couldn’t even point my toe.

MS: Seeing as the trend is to vote off players who are perceived to be weak prior to the merge and stronger player right after the merge, what do you think that you could have done differently (other than not get injured) in order to go further in the game?
Amy: After they swapped the tribe, I was a little outnumbered, but that’s the game, man.  You just have to deal with it and you have to play with it, and I did the best I could.  I don’t really look back on anything I did, because I fought to stay and I made alliances day one and I was always a step ahead.  I just felt it was my time to go and I fought every inch of the way NOT to go.  But it just wasn’t gonna go my way.

MS: Why did you feel confident enough at the time to vote off Brian on day 15, even though it put you and Gary on a 3-2 disadvantage?
Amy: Right. First of all, Gary and I were aligned day one, Brian was always on the outside, but when the tribes got swapped up obviously he was on our original tribe.  Because Blake talked a lot and stuff like that, Brian, Gary and I used that to our advantage to try and get HIM voted out.  At that time Gary made a promise to Danni, because she said “Why the heck would I vote out Blake because then the tribes would be even?”  So Gary said, “Danni, I give you my word, if we vote out Blake tonight, we’ll vote Brian out next.”  And I was standing right there and said, “Yes, that’s right, we’ll do that.”  When it did happen and when it was our turn to vote out Brian, of course I sniffed around a little bit to find out if maybe I could keep me, Brian and Gary together, but it just wasn’t gonna go.  Gary gave his word and of course the other tribe was not going to vote out another one of their own.  I eventually voted for Brian but that’s because it was already said and done…Brian was going, so I stuck with the tribe I was going to end up with.

Stay tuned for Part 2!
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006, 9:30am by MediaScribe » IP Logged
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

Re: The Metropolis Amy O'Hara Interview, Part One
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 3:29pm »

I wonder what would have happened if they stuck together and forced a 3-3 tie. I'm sure they've seen Bobby Jon and Steph's showdown, so why didn't they risk it? I guess Amy doesn't trust Brian much and maybe she thought if Brian is still there at 3-2 then Brian could easily flip to the other side...

(just speculating anyway)

Great interview!  Smiley
IP Logged
Alexander
ForumsNet Member
Mexico 

Charla and Mirna shall win Allstars!

Karkadam+Mirror
View Profile WWW Email

Re: The Metropolis Amy O'Hara Interview, Part One
« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 2:42pm »

Nice interview!  Grin
I looooove Amy, she is such a great woman and I wanted her to win the season but I think her sentence was signed with that ankle thing... too bad  Cry
IP Logged

My TOP 7 teams:
1.The Weavers!
2. Charla & Mirna
3. Aaron & Arianne
4. Meredith & Gretchen
5. Brian & Greg
6. Peggy & Claire
7. Paul & Amie
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.