Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 2:32am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Wacky Wanda's Episode 13 Review! »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Exclusive! - Survivors Speak to ForumsNet
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Wacky Wanda's Episode 13 Review!
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wacky Wanda's Episode 13 Review!  (Read 710 times)
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Wacky Wanda's Episode 13 Review!
« on: May 12th, 2006, 7:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's what Wanda had to say about last night's Survivor episode...

True Survivors -- are the ones whose hearts can sing,
For what is at stake  
    is the friends you make;
      Money's not the only thing.

Those words were the alternate chorus to the "Oh Susannah" parody I wrote as the "Ballad of Palau" for the conclusion of Survivor 10.  Terry's words, "I didn't come here to make friends with 24 year-olds" were a real disappointment to me.   Sure, the game is about winning a million dollars, but it should happen because of and in conjunction with the friends you've made, not in spite of the enemies you've made and the people you've offended.  Making friends of people who were from very different backgrounds than mine was one of my main objectives in going to Survivor.  A 24 year old named Angie became a wonderful friend, and I made many other young friends as well.

The Casayans found Terry arrogant and offensive.  Terry's overblown attack on Cirie about where her torch was laid in the dark was an example of his impatience and unwillingness to put up with small inconveniences in others even when only a few days remained.  He did spoil the euphoria the Final Four should have felt when they came back from the night's Tribal Council.  It could have been a great night of friendship and bonding, and he ruined it over something small.  

Thus, I was really delighted to see Aras at last beat Terry in back-to-back challenges.  Danielle, Cirie, and Terry had all participated in previous rewards; Aras was the only one of the four not to have had a reward, so I was glad to see him enjoy the canal cruise.  Needless to say, no one could have enjoyed it more with him than Cirie did.  Her pleasure, her exultation in experiencing a yacht cruise that she never would have imagined to be possible in her life, went beyond the happiness any of the others would have felt on the mini-vacation.  Cirie knows how to enjoy deeply, to appreciate maximally, to revel in the contrast from what she has always known or expected to be possible in her life.  We are all so glad for her and what this trip has meant to her life.

For a young man, Aras has shown great character throughout this season.  While Terry has shown disdain and a disinterest in the lives of younger people, Aras has talked about trying to practice love and compassion even when it's been made incredibly difficult by an older and stronger competitor who made no secret of not caring about him.  When Aras was wrong, he apologized "100%," stating clearly that he treated Terry unfairly and was very sorry about it.  Terry offered no similar apology to Aras or to Cirie.   Aras took "personal responsibility" for not acting as the good human being he wanted to be.  Terry had no reciprocating words for any of his behavior that instigated Aras's hard feelings.  Terry's only strength was in initiating confrontation.   Aras's words showed that he thought much about the kind of good man he wanted to be.

Aras has also been a persevering competitor.  Stephenie in Palau won the nation's respect for never giving up.  Aras hasn't articulated that -- he's demonstrated it.  "It's always too soon to quit," my college president Dr. V. Raymond Edmond always exhorted.  Aras lived that.  He gave 100% in challenges, and he came through for himself when it mattered, earning a great reward and saving himself from a Tribal Council vote that almost certainly would have fallen on him.   In my mind, he deserves to go all the way now.  Here is a young man who has proven himself worthy.  He's beaten an Anapolis grad with years of experience and education.  There is a time for the torch to pass.  

As for Danielle -- she reminds me of Eliza in Vanuatu.  Both had their heads on the chopping block week after week and were repeatedly spared when someone else always popped in to be more threatening or more annoying at a particular time.  Lady Luck has favored her.  We will soon see if Lady Luck's favor lights her fire fast enough.

The final two will be very interesting.   The preview said this will be the closest finale in Survivor history, and surely the jury will have a tough time deliberating.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.