Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 2:35am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Strike over, Hollywood writers head back to work »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Strike over, Hollywood writers head back to work
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strike over, Hollywood writers head back to work  (Read 471 times)
Insane 4 Survivor
ForumsNet Member
USA 

My New Home

View Profile

Strike over, Hollywood writers head back to work
« on: Feb 13th, 2008, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Striking Hollywood writers will be back at their keyboards Wednesday after voting overwhelmingly to end a 100-day walkout that essentially shut down the entertainment industry.

More than 92 percent of the Writers Guild of America members who cast ballots Tuesday in Los Angeles and New York voted to end their work stoppage over residuals for writing in the digital age, including new media and the Internet. The new deal is for three years.  

"The strike is over. Our membership has voted, and writers can go back to work," said Patric Verrone, president of the WGA's West chapter.

Michael Winship, president of WGA's East guild, said, "The success of this strike is a significant achievement not only for ourselves but the entire creative community, now and in the future."

WGA members walked off the job November 5 after talks broke down over how writers are paid for the use of their material on the Internet and DVDs, among other issues.

"It is not all that we hoped for, and it is not all we deserve," Verrone said when a tentative deal was announced Saturday.

Leslie Moonves, chief executive officer of CBS Corp., told The Associated Press, "At the end of the day, everybody won.

"It was a fair deal and one that the companies can live with, and it recognizes the large contribution that writers have made to the industry."  

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents production companies and media conglomerates, has had no comment on the agreement.

The vote meant that the Academy Awards ceremony on February 24 will be the usual scripted gala, the AP reported.

"I am ecstatic that the 80th Academy Awards presentation can now proceed full steam ahead," without "hesitation or discomfort" for the nominees, Sid Ganis, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which stages the Oscars, told the AP.  

As long as the strike continued, the traditional Oscars spectacular was in doubt since many Hollywood stars would not cross WGA picket lines.

It's unclear how soon new episodes of scripted programs will start appearing, because production won't begin until scripts are completed, the AP reported.

It will take at least four weeks for producers to get the first post-strike episodes of comedies back on the air; dramas will take six to eight weeks, the AP said.  

Verrone said the WGA achieved two of three goals through negotiations with the studios.  Watch Verrone explain what he thinks the strike accomplished »

The first goal relates to writers' "jurisdiction" in new media, Verrone said, meaning that any content written by guild members specifically for new media, such as the Internet or cell phones, will be covered by their contract.

The second goal relates to reuse of content in new media, Verrone said.

The agreement bases payment for reuses on a distributor's gross formula for residuals, "so that when they get paid, we get paid," he said.

It is the "first time in our history that a new delivery system pays on a residual formula superior to the prior existing system," Verrone said.

The third goal, which Verrone said the guild did not achieve, was to shore up writers' shares of the revenue from animation and reality television.

"Giving up animation and reality was a heartbreaking thing for me personally," he said. "But it was more important that we make a deal that benefited the membership, the town as a whole, that got people back to work and that solved the biggest problems in new media."  
IP Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
Heather
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

Re: Strike over, Hollywood writers head back to wo
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 1:28pm »

They definitely had no right to reality shows if you ask me, how is that written?

I'm glad the strike is over though. Grin
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
MediaScribe
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Keepin' it all together

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Strike over, Hollywood writers head back to wo
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 1:48pm »

There's a lot of writing involved in reality TV: Most of what hosts say is scripted; bumps, previews and teases are usually scripted; and in many cases, writers are involved insomuch as they work with producers to determine what material tells the 'story' they want told in that episode...they call themselves Story Editors, but in many cases writers are doing that work.  And as a TV writer myself, I was once asked to 'write' a reality show as a freelance gig.  We may not write all the dialogue, but many times we write what the situations are going to be.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.