Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 9:45pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Idol's McPhee one of millions with bulimia »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   The Idols Shows
   American Idol
(Moderators: lakelady, Isle_be_back)
   Idol's McPhee one of millions with bulimia
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Idol's McPhee one of millions with bulimia  (Read 1047 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Idol's McPhee one of millions with bulimia
« on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

McPhee one of millions with bulimia
Disease 'goes through society'

Thursday, June 22, 2006; Posted: 7:15 p.m. EDT (23:15 GMT)  

(CNN) -- Katharine McPhee's revelation that she has battled bulimia puts the American Idol runner-up in the company of millions of Americans.

The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that between 1.1 percent and 4.2 percent of females in the U.S. -- or 1.5 million to 6 million -- suffer from bulimia nervosa in their lifetime. The disorder is increasingly being identified in males as well.

Christopher Athas, a vice president of the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, says one of the many myths about bulimia is that it's a disease primarily of affluent young white women. "That's simply not true," he says. "It's an illness that goes through society." (Watch McPhee talk about her battle with bulimia -- 1:49)

People with eating disorders often have both anorexia nervosa, marked by starving oneself, and bulimia, known as the binge-and-purge disease.

Bulimics eat excessive amounts of food, often feeling out of control, then, out of disgust and a fear of gaining weight, resort to vomiting or laxatives or other extremes. The behavior typically occurs a couple of times a week, experts say. The 22-year-old McPhee told People that for five years, she threw up as often as seven times a day.

Even though bulimics may maintain a normal weight, the disease is often driven by low-self esteem, excessive perfectionism and negative body image. The individual comforts herself, or himself, with food; the late Princess Diana, who also suffered from bulimia, once likened the feeling of post-binge fullness to a hug.

Then the need to purge comes, bringing temporary feelings of relief. But usually, the cycle starts again.

In addition to being potentially deadly (chemical imbalances can cause cardiac arrhythmia and other organ damage) the long-term effects of bulimia aren't pretty. The acid in vomit can erode teeth and the esophagus and inflame glands near the cheeks, so the face can appear swollen.

McPhee says her illness began during her high school years in Los Angeles, where she was always concerned about her appearance. She recalls starving herself and exercising to an extreme. The pattern continued. "I was bingeing my whole life away for days at a time," she told People. She says the bottom came about the time she auditioned for "American Idol."

Concerned that her vomiting was damaging her vocal cords, McPhee decided to get help.

"I entered the program because I wanted to give myself the best shot I possibly could on the show. And, when I did, it was like God put hands on me and said, `I want you to be healed,' " she told People.

McPhee attended group and individual therapy six days a week for three months at the Eating Disorder Center of California in Los Angeles.

Many others who suffer with bulimia don't realize they have an eating disorder and don't seek help. Or, they feel too ashamed to tell anyone. Bulimia is a disease marked by secrecy.

But recovery is possible, says Athas of the anorexia association. "You can get totally well."

It takes recognition of the illness, a genuine desire to get healthy, and usually, he says, therapy, whether individual or group, inpatient or outpatient. Medication can also help control the compulsions.

IP Logged
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

331122624 331122624   racedude122003   racedude122003
View Profile WWW

Re: Idol's McPhee one of millions with bulimia
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:20pm »

Thanks for posting. I didn't know this...At least she is trying to fix it..So many people you see out there with some diseases that are like this that just don't do anything.
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:36pm »

I hope she's better now! Embarassed
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
MK
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:41pm »

I'm suprised she could still sing like she did after doing all that. I wonder how'd she sound if she had not been bulimic. I'm really proud of her for seeking help and her story will be an inspiration for other girls, I'm sure.
IP Logged

Hi. Smiley
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 12:25am »

:barf:
IP Logged
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 12:39pm »

ExIsle_be_back, you are so bad! :whip:
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

331122624 331122624   racedude122003   racedude122003
View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 1:05pm »

:barf::toilet:

Yup, shocked she could do all that on the show with that condition.
IP Logged
jvjkj
ForumsNet Member

^Thanks Jake!^

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 6:07pm »

I laughed when I saw the barfing smiley.
IP Logged

Survivor: All faves except Yau and Ami, Mary!
Isle_be_back
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 11:55pm »

on Jun 24th, 2006, 12:39pm, Not Popo wrote:
ExIsle_be_back, you are so bad! :whip:

You're right.  It was in...bad taste.   Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.