Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:23pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « The deadliest epidemic in human history »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   The deadliest epidemic in human history
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The deadliest epidemic in human history  (Read 1149 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

The deadliest epidemic in human history
« on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Worse than the plaque of the middle ages.  It will kill 68million people in 45 of the most affected countries in the next 20 years.  A five-fold increas of the toll AIDS has exacted in those countries over the past two decades, accordin to the Join UN program on HIV/AIDS.

Seven countries in sub-Saharan Africa now have life expectancies below age 40.  Botswana the most afflicted nation is staring at a life expectancy of less than 27 years.  Botswana Health Minister Joy Phumaphi warned that the country is facing 'extinction'.  40 percent of adults are affected.

Only 30,000 out of 30 million people with HIV and AIDS in Africa are getting the drugs that are keeping infected men, women and children alive elsewhere?  I am not sure of this statistic - it was quoted in the paper.  But they also say that 230,000 people in developing countries are currently on anti-retroviral drugs.  Presumably that includes non-african countries, for example Thailand and other Asian countries.

In rich countries, 500,000 people are on anti-retroviral drugs right now, and 25,000 died last year.

What will become of Africa and the African people?  It sound to me like a serious tragedy in the making.  I pray for better vaccinations and treatments but this is a very "smart" virus.  Given these statistics it is very possible that entire countries could be killed by an infectious disease.
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Re: The deadliest epidemic in human history
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:53am »

I read recently that 1+ Billion dollars will be spent to improve safety at LA airport.  At the same time the paper reports today that all G8 countries have pledged only 2.1 billion dollars in funding of the global fund against AIDS over the next 3 years.  Just look at how much money was spent for the G8 to meet in Calgary last week.  Are we really a caring global community?  Look at how we spend money here in North America and the suffering that goes on throughout the world.
IP Logged
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 10:57pm »

A new drug that attacks the AIDS virus in an entirely different way could dramatically restore the health of HIV patients whose infections have outfoxed all existing medicines, research indicates.

Studies presented Monday at the 14th International AIDS Conference found that patients for whom current drugs had stopped working were twice as likely to have virus concentrations decrease below detectable levels if they added the new medicine, known as enfuvirtide, or T-20, to their cocktail.  

The drug should be on the market next year.

This is very encouraging for patients in the developed countries, but I'm not sure it will be of much help to the people of Africa.  If only 30,000 out of 30 million are getting drugs now, I fear the same will happen with any new drugs that come on the market.
IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12th, 2002, 10:05pm »

I just found this and thought I'd share.

Hoping to educate the children in South Africa about the realities of the HIV virus, "Sesame Street" will soon introduce a new Muppet infected with the disease.

For the time being the new, yet unnamed Muppet will appear on "Takalani Sesame" in South Africa.

Eventually, the Muppet could join the "Sesame Street" brood in other countries.

It is unclear at this time if the HIV-infected Muppet will eventually make its way to the U.S.
IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15th, 2002, 9:36am »

on Jul 12th, 2002, 10:05pm, Irishlass wrote:
I just found this and thought I'd share.

Hoping to educate the children in South Africa about the realities of the HIV virus, "Sesame Street" will soon introduce a new Muppet infected with the disease.

For the time being the new, yet unnamed Muppet will appear on "Takalani Sesame" in South Africa.

Eventually, the Muppet could join the "Sesame Street" brood in other countries.

It is unclear at this time if the HIV-infected Muppet will eventually make its way to the U.S.
This is very cool  :afro: and encouraging.  Thanks for that news about the new drug treatment.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.