Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:16pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Classes »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   Campus Life
(Moderators: Heather, Isle_be_back)
   Classes
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Classes  (Read 14146 times)
sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

Re: Classes
« Reply #90 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 4:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i'm a journalism major from the University of the Philippines. we have to take so-called "general education" subjects, five each from the following domains: 'social sciences and philosophy' (SSP); 'arts and humanities' (AH); and 'math, science and technology' (MST). these are mostly introductions/overviews to broad topics. (i think this is because our uni believes in "liberal arts education")

intro to the eng'g sciences is my last MST. Smiley

IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

elizabethyong2001   dreamsofelle
View Profile WWW

« Reply #91 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 5:00am »

Yay~! Journalism major!
IP Logged

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.
Genius
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Asian engineering!

View Profile

« Reply #92 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 8:14am »

Jornalism sounds like a good course of study to me. Does this subject have a crazy workload? Just curious.
IP Logged

TAR14: Tammy and Victor
S18: Brendan, Taj, Spencer
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #93 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:19am »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 4:04am, sneezemachine wrote:
hopefully,, unless the thesis holds me back. Lips Sealed

But didn't you start like only 2 years ago? You seemed to have finished fast! Or did you start college young?
IP Logged
sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #94 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:23am »

@ elle:

are you taking up journ too?! Grin

---

@ genius:

in my program, we get hands-on early.

as early as journ101 (which we take it in the second year, first semester), we are assigned to go to police stations and government offices to look for stories. we also had to interview a celebrity.

oh, and i interviewed a prostitute. Lips Sealed

it's not too crazy, we're given almost two weeks per story. our professors keep telling us that they should be giving us tighter deadlines.

---

@jp:

hm,, i think i went on hiatus here at forumsnet about 2 years ago when college started to become demading. (the first year of college was a breeze--no, i'm not bragging, it was only 15 hours a week)

i'm going to be 20 years old when i finish college (again, if there won't be any snags). i think i'm just right on track though i am one of the youngest in my year/batch.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:33am by sneezemachine » IP Logged
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #95 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:50am »

I hope to see you on my TV soon! lol Or are do you like to work on newspapers?
IP Logged
sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #96 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 11:01am »

my track focuses on newspaper writing,, but our department insists they're training us to be holistic jack-of-all-traders. so yeah, i might pop up anywhere,, hehe.

---

but wait, i checked,, i entered college just before TAR5 and i stepped out of the forum during survivor: cook islands. that means i've only been outta here for a little more than a year.
IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #97 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 12:34pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 10:23am, sneezemachine wrote:
@ elle:

are you taking up journ too?! Grin

---

@ genius:

in my program, we get hands-on early.

as early as journ101 (which we take it in the second year, first semester), we are assigned to go to police stations and government offices to look for stories. we also had to interview a celebrity.

oh, and i interviewed a prostitute. Lips Sealed

it's not too crazy, we're given almost two weeks per story. our professors keep telling us that they should be giving us tighter deadlines.

I'm doing a diploma in Mass Communications, and we have to choose from one of 3 majors (Public Relations, Journalism and Advertising) for the 3rd semester. I'm planning to choose journalism. I'd be graduating next semester if I did not switch colleges, but I made the decision to switch, and to retake every subject again, so I won't graduate with my degree until 2009 or so.

Getting hands-on early is cool though. The Journ101 class that I took, the hardest assignment was for us to read 3 versions of the same news story from the 3 major English dailies here in Malaysia, and then, rewrite it based on the facts we could get from those news stories.

A 2 week deadline is a pain, lol. I get exactly 2 weeks for all my assignments, and the lecturers, I'm sure, plot to give us all our assignments on the same time. But I guess it does not matter, lol. I never write anything up until the night before they're done.
IP Logged

Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #98 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 12:36pm »

@ Sneezemachine: When you graduate, you'll hold a Bachelor's Degree?
IP Logged

sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #99 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:18pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 12:36pm, Elle wrote:
@ Sneezemachine: When you graduate, you'll hold a Bachelor's Degree?

yep,, journalism in our uni is a bachelor of arts degree.

---

wow, that's cool that we have the same deadlines! haha. and the same technique! (putting off writing until the night before Grin)
IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #100 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:32pm »

Getting a bachelor's degree at 20 is quite early, I think. Doesn't a bachelor's degree take 4 years of study?

:laff: I can never write up anything earlier than the night before it's due. I get better marks with last minute work, to the displeasure of my classmates.

I have finals starting tomorrow till Tuesday, 5 subjects altogether, and I have not been able to start studying seriously. I'll be up all night to study, LOL.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:36pm by Elizabeth » IP Logged

sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #101 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:59pm »

yeah, this IS my fourth year of college. i graduated highschool when i was 16 years old. (which is very normal here; i didn't skip a grade--oh wait, i skipped kindergarten 2. i think i started school late then i got bumped up to be, erm, 'normal'.)

---

i usually do data-gathering early then i leave the stuff aside, until i write the article the night before the deadline.

hehe,, i do the same thing! i get good marks when i "review" stuff just before the exam. i mean, up until before the test papers are passed around.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #102 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 11:10pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 10:59pm, sneezemachine wrote:
yeah, this IS my fourth year of college. i graduated highschool when i was 16 years old. (which is very normal here; i didn't skip a grade--oh wait, i skipped kindergarten 2. i think i started school late then i got bumped up to be, erm, 'normal'.)

---

i usually do data-gathering early then i leave the stuff aside, until i write the article the night before the deadline.

hehe,, i do the same thing! i get good marks when i "review" stuff just before the exam. i mean, up until before the test papers are passed around.  Cheesy

I started college when I was 17, and then stopped and went back again in July, wasting a year and a half. LOL.

Sneezemachine, we have the EXACT same studying method. Nothing stays in my head if I try to study early, lol. I can't even concentrate on my notes now.

But I do wonder how I'm going to remember the hundred or so theories I have to remember for Intro to Comm and Human Behavior on Friday. LOL.
IP Logged

sneezemachine
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

rjmercado87  
View Profile Email

« Reply #103 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 11:37pm »

lol, are you studying stuff like 'the spiral of silence', 'agenda-setting', and 'the osgood-schramm circular model'?

hehe, that stuff is brain-draining.
IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #104 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 11:57pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 11:37pm, sneezemachine wrote:
lol, are you studying stuff like 'the spiral of silence', 'agenda-setting', and 'the osgood-schramm circular model'?

hehe, that stuff is brain-draining.

The first two, yeah. No idea what the 'osgood-schramm circular model' is, LOL.  

Spiral of Silence- Minority views are basically slowly silenced by the majority.

Agenda Setting- The media decides what stories are newsworthy and how much airtime/space to give the story. The more time or space given to a story, the more "important" it is. (I'm sure THIS will be out in tomorrow's exam)

^That's easy enough for me to remember.

------------------

What I have a problem with is remembering..."The 5 stage llistening process" "The 5 stage conversation process" (I know that one, hehe) "The 6 step problem solving process" "6 ways nonverbal messages interact with verbal messages"  and so on. I always get them mixed up. Sad Or, at least one of the steps or stages will persistently elude my memory during the exam, and it comes back to me the second I leave the exam hall. Gaah!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007, 11:59pm by Elizabeth » IP Logged

Pages: all 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.