Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:28pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Hypocrites, Liars, and Backstabbers, Oh My (Heck)! »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Hypocrites, Liars, and Backstabbers, Oh My (Heck)!
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hypocrites, Liars, and Backstabbers, Oh My (Heck)!  (Read 613 times)
MzzJoplin
ForumsNet Member

Thaid no more ...

View Profile

Hypocrites, Liars, and Backstabbers, Oh My (Heck)!
« on: May 22nd, 2002, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hypocrites, Liars, and Backstabbers, Oh My (Heck); or Why Vecepia Should Not Have Won

Vecepia pulled out a win on Survivor, but should she have? Did she deserve it more than the other three? The author, always the champion of those who don't make it, says no.

Where do I begin?  
Unlike Kathy and Tammy, who swear the bitterness they might feel over losing Survivor is gone, I am still very bitter. And I was not even there. Everyone who reads my column on a regular basis know that I am Champion of the Underdog. I try to look at the Survivor everyone is picking on and view them from another angle.
Sometimes this is hard to do. With the case of Sarah, it was nearly impossible. Vecepia probably would have been the underdog if I had not read SurvivorNews.Net spoiler pages and found out Friday she was the winner. That never gave her time to become an underdog in my mind.  
I always try to find something redeeming about the losers, and we have three losers here who all have really good reasons why they should be the winners. (Well, Pappy and Kathy at least.) And we have one woman, Vee, who is, in my opinion, while not the least deserving of any Survivor yet to make it to the final four, close.  
I cannot think of anything that Neleh did that stood out as being true sole survivor material. She, like Vee, stood behind another's back and hung on tight to their coattails.  
In the tribal council after the trivia immunity, should Neleh have walked away from the million just for Pappy? Nah. It was Pappy's call. He would have told her not to do it anyway. But Kathy was right, obviously he needed some food and rest and Vee should have voted him out instead of Neleh. By losing the way he did, it left a lot of Survivor fans upset that it had NOTHING to do with the game. Hindsight is 20/20, and had Pappy stayed in, it's doubtful he would have made the trip up the mountain to the fallen comrades walk, even more doubtful that he could have hung on very long on to the tiki immunity. So although Pappy deserved to be in the final two, I don't think Vee would have taken him. And I don't think he would have won immunity. Kathy, I believe, was going to stick to her word and take Vee.
So Pappy couldn't win it, because of health.
Neleh did nothing that screamed "Pick me" and that leaves Kathy and Vee. Kathy was the better player. She followed almost all of David's rules, as you can read in his article here. She slowly but surely became a fan favorite and she kept her integrity and soul intact. Even though the circumstances surrounding her fall off the immunity idol seemed a bit questionable, she readily admitted that no one else was to blame but herself. Kathy should have won Survivor 4 and I hope she gets to come back and play again in the “All-Star” Survivor version.
But, Kathy did not win the game. Vee won the game. Should she have?  
NO WAY!
Before any of you accuse me of being a racist and picking on Vee because she is black, let me say unequivocally that this has nothing to do with the color of her skin. I am, however, appalled that when asked what was the one thing, aside from the million dollars, that she was happiest to be taking away from Survivor, she did not talk about the experience or the wonderful bonds she developed. She did not say she was proud of herself for bringing enhanced spirituality to the game, or for pushing herself to "survive." Instead Vecepia played the race card. She felt the most important thing she brought away from the game was the fact that an African-American woman had won the game.
The funny thing is, I think most of us had not even noticed that. As with Sean, we did not pick up on the fact that he was black. We picked up on his personality. Vecepia did not break the Survivor color barrier. No white man was holding Alicia or Ramona back in the previous Survivors (and I almost forgot to write Alicia's name then because I think of her first as being tough as nails, secondly being gorgeous, and then somewhere past strong, good ab's and confrontational I remember she is African-American. And I completely forgot about Linda from S3 being African-American until I was way down at the end of this column and had to come back and stick this in.) While Sean and Vecepia continued, even to the last hour, to convince everyone that there was no alliance between them just because they were both African-American, it simply does not ring true.  
I had read the predictions on SurvivorNews.Net that claimed Vee won the game and I didn't see how it could happen. She never seemed to have any strategy, went with the flow, and stayed under the radar. But then I began to think it would be great to see the winds of fate come up and sweep Vee into the final two. As I was watching it unfold however, with Vee turning her back on Kathy, I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. She became Judas, selling her loyalty for a pocket of silver.
Vee has spoken God's name in prayer so many times that it seemed like that was the only dimension to her personality. Vee the Prayer. Vee the Lover of Jesus. But then Vee was standing there on those stumps and Satan himself must have whispered into her ear and told her to sell her soul. And she did.
Now, I have no problem with Vecepia playing the game full tilt. I have no problem with backstabbing, lying, cheating, manipulating. Anything goes in this game. Do what you have to do to win.
My problem comes, when you do these things and then thank God that the lying, manipulating, and backstabbing went your way. Leave God out of this. Now, I am going to give you a far-out comparison, hoping that you are mature enough to see that these are gross exaggerations, but with a common point behind them:
Many of the priests who have been accused of sexually abusing children, have used God's forgiveness as a way of enabling them to continue the abuse. Their superiors do this also. As Catholics, we believe in the sanctity of confession – it wipes out all sin and leaves us pure. When a priest abuses a child and knows it is wrong, all they have to do is go to confession and *poof* the sin has been wiped clean. They are now supposed to try not to sin again. But if they do, God does forgive. Again.
There are murderers who kill for money and then ask God to forgive them. If they have faith in God, they are forgiven. This does not, however, make what they did any less wrong.  
Vecepia is not a murderer, not is she a child abuser. What Vecepia is, is someone who played a game that caused her to act unChristianlike. Vecepia should not have won.  
If she wanted to experience the island, and like Gabriel, stay out of the game, then she should have done that. But a true Christian, in order to stay true to their beliefs, does not belong in a cut-throat game where the prize is money and to get it you have to break commandments.  
You shall have no God's before me, (Mark Burnett or Money)
You shall not Bear false witness against your neighbor (Kathy)
You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy; (No coconut breaking on Sunday, no immunity challenges or reward challenges on Sunday)
You shall not covet your neighbor's goods. Nor anything that is your neighbor's. (Money, immunity necklace, etc. )
No matter how Vee justifies it, no matter how she claims God gave her the ability to get that money, I keep wondering if she read the parts of her Bible that talked about how hard it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Will she give the money away and Do What Jesus Would do (according to scripture)? Not many of us would. However. Not many of us would thank God when we were playing the Devil's game.

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2002, 3:50pm by MzzJoplin » IP Logged

"It's hard to be free, but when it works, it sure is worth it ... " ~ Janis Joplin
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.