Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:33am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Will Spoilers Kill Survivor? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Survivor
   Survivor General Gossip & News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Isle_be_back)
   Will Spoilers Kill Survivor?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Poll
Question: Do ChillOne type spoilers endanger the future of Survivor?

No.
Yes.
Only if they receive major media coverage.

« Created by: BlankWillWin on: Jan 19th, 2004, 9:12pm »

Author  Topic: Will Spoilers Kill Survivor?  (Read 498 times)
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

Will Spoilers Kill Survivor?
« on: Jan 19th, 2004, 8:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Will Survivor survive the Internet?  
Reality show's host fears for future of similar TV fare  
By STEVE TILLEY  
Edmonton Sun  
Just as video killed the radio star, the Internet could ultimately drive a stake through the heart of reality TV.  

So says Survivor host Jeff Probst, who will once again be overseeing challenges, doling out rewards and conducting Tribal Councils in Survivor: All-Stars, the eighth instalment in the reality TV series that started it all. It debuts Feb. 1 on CBS and Global immediately following the Super Bowl XXXVII broadcast.  

Each successive season of Survivor has seen more and more information leaked out ahead of time, often through so-called spoiler websites on the Net. It culminated with an off-shore betting scandal that revealed Sandra Diaz-Twine would wind up the winner of Survivor: Pearl Islands before the show had even begun airing.  

"The Internet and the accessibility to information has made it very difficult to do shows like Survivor," Probst told the Sun yesterday in a phone interview from his home in Los Angeles. "And it wouldn't surprise me if ultimately it led to the demise of our show at some point."  

With each series filmed a few months before it goes to air, keeping a lid on twists, vote results and other secrets is proving nigh-on impossible. And it's not the contestants themselves who are doing the blabbing.  

"Sooner or later you cannot combat people who betray you," Probst said. "We have a crew of 400 people, and everybody tells somebody something. I definitely believe that.  

"Once you spread information like that and there's money to be made or fame to be had - 'Hey I know something you don't know, listen to this' - all we can do, honestly, is counter it with our own misinformation."  

Survivor: All-Stars will see the return of 18 past contestants, including memorable characters like the original Survivor's Richard Hatch and crusty former navy SEAL Rudy Boesch, and Survivor: Pearl Islands would-be Blackbeard, Rupert Boneham.  

Some All-Stars spoilers have already bubbled to the surface, suggesting that  
(three spoilers deleted).
----------------------------------------------------------------

Eric.
IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Will Spoilers Kill Survivor?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 9:10pm »

As most of you know, I'm much more of an "analyst" than a "spoiler", and I don't like having Snewser tell me who is going to be booted at noon on Thursday before I watch the show, so I thought I'd bring this to the spoiler-free side of the board, and open it up for discussion.  Could ChillOne, Wezzie, QuartzEye and the other spoilers who travel to Survivor locations and learn a great deal about the course of the show before it airs, cause the general public to stop watching the show, if their predictions become known outside the spoiler-board community?

Eric.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2004, 9:15pm by BlankWillWin » IP Logged

The Artist formerly known as Tina, Ethan, Neleh, Helen, Deena, Tijuana, & AmberWillWin.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 10:16pm »

This is a subject I am so torn on.  I don't enjoy having every boot handed to me on a silver platter and I do think it ruins it to an extent. On the one hand it's my choice to read those spoilers, on the other hand I can't help myself.  If I see them listed I will read them.  For me a fun spoiler is hearing "the final 2 are 2 women" or "a man and a woman" and trying to analyze it myself from there, rather than being told "the final 2 are blank and blank".   The best I can hope for, having read the chill one thingy is that his source does indeed prove to be wrong.  He expressed concern in it about the trustworthiness of the source, but decided he thought the guy was on the level in the end.
IP Logged
BlankWillWin
ForumsNet Member
USA 

The Psychotic Predictor

Elladan915@yahoo.com  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 3:52pm »

While TV Barn is not exactly national media, ChillOne's new spoiler is beginning to circulate already.  This link reportedly reveals ChillOne's F2 for SAS, so don't click if you don't want to know.

http://www.tvbarn.com/ticker/archives/018245.html

www.canoe.ca and biz.yahoo.com/prnews are also featuring the story.  Can the mainstream media be far behind?

Eric.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2004, 4:48pm by BlankWillWin » IP Logged

lakelady
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 5:11pm »

Quote:
Could ChillOne, Wezzie, QuartzEye and the other spoilers who travel to Survivor locations and learn a great deal about the course of the show before it airs, cause the general public to stop watching the show, if their predictions become known outside the spoiler-board community?

Eric.

BWW,  I don't think it's possible for the general public to stop watching the show.  I also don't think the "Average Joe" (no pun intended) really knows or cares anything about spoiling.   I'm of the idea that it is just for us "fanatics".   And as Rhune said, reading the spoilers is a matter of choice.  And I agree with her also about be sucked in.  LOLOLOL  Just. can't. resist.  
IP Logged
MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Praying for FN members/family health & happiness

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 5:16pm »

If Rhune is "torn" - I'm ripped to think the demise of Survivor would be because of "loose lips."  And if is this is being done for primarily for betting against the house (as it were) - then I'm just disgusted.  I've heard the betting stories but didn't realize it had gone as fas as it has.  

When I lose "something", it's usually because of my carelessness (or a brain fart).  When "something" goes away due to lack of interest (TV show in this case), low ratings, etc. - I can accept that and go on.   The possibility of losing Survivor because of the Net and the greed ($) of a few, makes me mad as hell.  

Per Rhune:  "The best I can hope for, having read the chill one thingy is that his source does indeed prove to be wrong. He expressed concern in it about the trustworthiness of the source, but decided he thought the guy was on the level in the end."

Just as video killed the radio star, the Internet could ultimately drive a stake through the heart of reality TV.  Sad about radio, but I compare that to progress:  8-Track to CD's, ie.  

On the other hand, in Eric's post above, Jeff Probst gave the telephone interview - not Mark Burnett.  For now, I would rather hear what he has to say about an alleged demise of Survivor.
IP Logged

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

magics_cutie
ForumsNet Member

MMMM...The Robfather

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 8:37pm »

I really don't think the general viewing public even know about the spoilers.  It is just us internet geeks (I mean that in a good way) who even know about them.  

The general viewing audience has no clue as to what we do on the boards or what is written.   JMHO....
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.