Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:25pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Hormone Replacement Therapy »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Hormone Replacement Therapy
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hormone Replacement Therapy  (Read 1271 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Hormone Replacement Therapy
« on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is anyone here on HRT?  I know I will be entering menopause myself anytime within the next 10 years.  I need to ask my mom actually when she started menopause.

There is a major study out that confirms an earlier study that women with pre-existing heart disease are at increased risk of cardio vascular events.  Now the latest study was on the affect of HRT on women without pre-existing heart disease.  There are increased risks of heart disease and other conditions in these women.

HRT is the gold standard for treating the symptoms of menopause.  It was aslo shown to decrease the risk of hip fractures and colon cancer in the studied group (16,000 women studied since 1993).  As women we must consult our family doctors.

As an overweight woman I am now seriously considering my own cardiovascular health.  Oddly enough the person who has influenced my most recent thinking was Pascal on Survivor Marquesas.  He said that cardiovascular strength was a very important part of his life choices.  

I had heard of physical strength and mental strength but not cardiovascular strength.  I now realize that I have control over that but it's going to be tough in my present state of overweightness and unfitness.  

One thing is to spend less time sitting in front of a computer.  The next is to seriously consider the nutrition of my meals.  I am going to book an appointment with my family doctor to create a plan for good health and ask if he can give me some measurements that I can use as landmarks for improved health.
IP Logged
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 8:30am »

Addams, I'm on HRT. I had a hysterectomy so I never knew, won't ever know, the symptoms of menopause, and because I have no "plumbing" at all HRT isn't really optional for me.  

However, I refused to take the synthetic variety. I had to change doctors to do it, but I take natural hormones and have done fine with them. (My GYN, who I really liked and trusted, and who did the surgery, wouldn't even discuss it, so I went searching for someone who would!) I think there's less risk with natural. Also, the Premarin (synthetic) variety is only replacing estrogen - the naturals can be adjusted to more closely resemble what the body actually produced, with the addition of progesterone etc. Each person is different, and with the natural replacement, my new doc and I experimented a bit until we found my special "recipe".  

But, like I said, I have to take them. I suggest going online to get info. For instance, Japanese women don't seem to suffer the same symptoms as Western women do. No one knows why yet, but it's suspected that their diet is one reason. Lots of fish and fish oil.
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 11:36am »

on Jul 9th, 2002, 8:30am, LibertyBelle wrote:
Japanese women don't seem to suffer the same symptoms as Western women do. No one knows why yet, but it's suspected that their diet is one reason. Lots of fish and fish oil.
Another reason it is supposed that Japanese women do not have the same symptoms of menopause is because they eat so many soya products throughout their lives.  The soy contains estrogen like compounds and they believe that these help.  

It is strongly recommended that women eat soya products for this reason during and after menopause.
IP Logged
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 12:22pm »

mmmmm...sushi with soy sauce.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 2:28pm »

on Jul 9th, 2002, 12:22pm, Rhune wrote:
mmmmm...sushi with soy sauce.  Cheesy
I am not sure if there are any of the estrogen like products in the soy sauce.  But tofu anyone?
IP Logged
LibertyBelle
ForumsNet Member

libertybelle28  
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 6:44pm »

on Jul 9th, 2002, 2:28pm, addams wrote:

But tofu anyone?

Yak! I'd rather take the pills!  Grin
IP Logged

I watch from the wings at the play you are staging - while I'm sitting here doing nothing but aging.
~ George Harrison ~
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 7:58pm »

on Jul 9th, 2002, 6:44pm, LibertyBelle wrote:

Yak! I'd rather take the pills!  Grin
 As I suspected Wink
 Grin
IP Logged
Irishlass
ForumsNet Member
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 10:26pm »

I was on HRT, but stopped taking my Prempro about a year ago.  My experience was not normal, but I will share it with you.  My gyno strongly suggested I begin HRT a few years ago.  I did and was almost immediately free of my hot flashes and night sweats and as Martha Stewart would say, that was a good thing.  After the initial breakthrough bleeding, I had no problems for about a year.  Then I began spotting and it just wouldn't stop.  My doc said he didn't think it was serious, but we needed to do an endometrial biopsy to make sure.  After the somewhat painful procedure I waited anxiously for the results.  When they came back everything was okay and it was ruled a hormonal imbalance.  He then gave me more hormones to stop the spotting.  Everything was fine for about a year and a half.  Then the spotting started again, worse than the first time until it was almost like a period.  He had to do another endometrial biopsy (OUCH).  Then another wait for test results.  Again, nothing abnormal, thank God.   My doctor again put me on more hormones to stop the bleeding.  After the bleeding finally stopped, I said enough is enough and quit taking the Prempro.  My doctor did say that what happened to me is very rare, but it did happen and I thought I would share it with you.  Since then I've had no problems.  I don't plan on doing the HRT thing ever again.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2002, 10:27pm by Irishlass » IP Logged

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 9th, 2002, 11:44pm »

My mother takes hormone pills, I'm not sure which ones exactly - she just refers to them as "my woman pills".  She had the full hystorectomy when I was a kid, and I don't ever recall her having problems with the pills, other than every time she ran out she got cranky as hell.  Grin
IP Logged
MzzJoplin
ForumsNet Member

Thaid no more ...

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10th, 2002, 11:16am »

Well, even though I'm just 25, I'm supposed to be taking HRT pills ... Natural or synthetic, I've known since I was a kid that I'm pretty much going to have to take something for HRT forever ...
Well I don't ... mainly because of the health risks involved ... they say they don't want you to take "the pill" for too long, 'cause it might cause cancer ... might cause heart problems, ect, ....
I'm hesitant to ask a doctor what I should do, 'cause the reason I need HRT is pretty complicated, and quite frankly, I haven't found a doctor that I trust enough to tell me what the right thing to do for me is ...

So ... that's where I'm at right now ... kind of in limbo with the whole thing ...
IP Logged

"It's hard to be free, but when it works, it sure is worth it ... " ~ Janis Joplin
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.