Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:36am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Liberalization and efficiency: a key growth parame »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Liberalization and efficiency: a key growth parame
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Liberalization and efficiency: a key growth parame  (Read 755 times)
fuctis
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Liberalization and efficiency: a key growth parame
« on: Jan 1st, 2010, 11:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the past 20 years, the then prevailing circumstances prompted many countries to liberalize their financial sector through deregulation.  Deregulation and liberalization had a major impact on increasing the productivity and efficiency in various industries and also in the banking sectors in some Eastern and Central European counties as well as in China.  Although, the primary goal of liberalization and deregulation has been to improve efficiency, earlier results have been mixed and the short-term effects of liberalization have been discouraging.

For example, Berg, Forsund and Jansen (1991) found that in Norway during 1980-89 the productivity of banks declined initially but eventually rose.  Zaim (1995) reported efficiency gains in Turkish banks after the 1980 liberalization programme.  Leighter and Lovell (199Cool investigated the Thai banking industry from both the banks and the government’s perspective from 1989 to 1994.  They found that the average Thai bank had a rapid productivity gain based on its own local objectives, but during this period productivity gains from the liberalization program could not help in advancing the government objectives (that is, overall economic growth).  Korea launched a major liberalization drive between 1980 and 1994 and found that most Korean banks became more efficient and experienced major gains during this period when the government controls were lifted.  On the other hand, it was found that in the United States (Humprey and Puttey, 1997) and in Spain economy (Griefeell and Lovell, 1997) deregulation resulted in a decline in efficiency.

It will be prudent to keep in mind that the consequence of deregulation may differ across countries and may also depend on the sector-wise conditions prior to deregulation.  Furthermore, it should be noted that all of the afore-mentioned studies investigated the efficiency after or during the deregulation period without covering the period before liberalization/deregulation programs.  This may have altered the real impact of such programmes.  Bankers like rod aycox have continuously updated upon their management practices through such studies.

The URL provided in this "advertisement" disguised as a news post was removed by the Moderator.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2010, 4:27pm by Bumper » IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: Liberalization and efficiency: a key growth pa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2010, 9:49pm »

Bumper, you are WAAAAAAAAAAAY nicer than Ex-Isle and me... we just delete them completely... I've decided any spam isn't worth the time it takes me to edit it... "delete" is my new friend.. Smiley
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Bumper
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

A Virginia Member of  the RED SOX Nation

mrbumper2003  
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2010, 10:11pm »

on Jan 1st, 2010, 9:49pm, yesteach wrote:
Bumper, you are WAAAAAAAAAAAY nicer than Ex-Isle and me... we just delete them completely... I've decided any spam isn't worth the time it takes me to edit it... "delete" is my new friend.. Smiley

Well, that was my one Christian charity act for 2010.  :angel:  
Damn if it didn't get used up on the first day.

Oh well, guess I'll get my hammer back out.  LOL   :smash:
IP Logged

If U R reading these old posts, know that we were once a great, active cyber-community, but as in all things..Time moves on. This is now a Ghost Town.
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:34am »

They didn't even spam it in the right section, this bullcrud post belonged in the politics section!  Sheesh!  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.