Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Tim Burton Is No 'Willy Wonka' Fan »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Tim Burton Is No 'Willy Wonka' Fan
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tim Burton Is No 'Willy Wonka' Fan  (Read 411 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« on: Nov 26th, 2003, 11:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tue, Nov 25, 2003, 05:11 PM PT
By Vanessa Sibbald

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Roald Dahl wasn't the only person to dislike 1971's "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," based on the author's children's book, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Tim Burton, who announced last May that he is directing a new version of the film, isn't a fan of the original either.  

"Have you seen it lately? Personally, I don't want to crush people's childhood dreams but, um, I'd rate 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' [also based on a Dahl book] much higher than that one."  

Dahl's dissatisfaction with the '71 film led his estate to resist Warner Bros.' attempts to obtain the rights for a remake, until they learned that Burton was on board to direct.  

So far, Burton isn't giving away any details on how his version will differ from the previous one. In fact, he says he hasn't yet received the finished script, and that he's still not sure if he's going to keep the original's musical numbers or not. One thing that is known is that Johnny Depp is on board to play Willy Wonka. Depp, who has worked with Burton on the films "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood" and "Sleepy Hollow," was just named People magazine's "Sexiest Man of the Year," a fact that much amused Burton.  

"That cracks me up. It's like, I guess he just arrived on planet Earth, Johnny. Jeez," Burton laughs. "You know what? I always find that with good things it's a delayed reaction, you know. I like working with him and he's always surprising and fun, and he's a big star now."  

"Charlie" will be the second Dahl project that Burton has helped bring to the big screen; he also produced 1996's "James and the Giant Peach."  

"I like children's books that have adults because, you know, children are like adults. I think adults forget that. There can be darkness and sort of foreboding and sinister things that are very much a part of childhood," he says. "I just like Roald Dahl's humor and emotion -- put together."  

One thing Burton won't have is his newborn son, by partner Helena Bonham Carter, in the film playing one of the many kids.  

"No, I'm going to try to keep them as far away from show business as possible," Burton says. "Look at the rate of child actors -- he'll be in prison for shoplifting by the time he's 10-years-old."  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.