Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:49pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Canadians remember Dieppe »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   In the News
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Canadians remember Dieppe
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Canadians remember Dieppe  (Read 435 times)
Addams
You Bet Your ASS Team
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

View Profile

Canadians remember Dieppe
« on: Aug 17th, 2002, 9:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A relative mine fought in this battle.  Sadly I can't remember which one.  I will have to ask mom again.  You think I might learn to write these things down.  It was probably 20 years ago that she told me this story.  Time for a refresher.  

As a Canadian I remember the bravery of Dieppe, it is a battle I learned much about in school.

Heres the story:

A ceremony was held in Ottawa on Friday to mark the 60th anniversary of the Canadian raid on Dieppe, during the Second World War.  

The landing pre-dated D-Day by two years and for many it is regarded as one of Canada's greatest military disasters.  

But a high-profile war veteran says the Canadian raid on the French beach provided valuable lessons in military strategy.  

German fortifications at Dieppe  

Of the 5,000 Canadian soldiers who took part on the raid on Aug. 19, 1942, almost 1,000 were killed. Another 2,000 were taken prisoner.  

Canada paid tribute to their sacrifice with a remembrance ceremony Friday at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. There will be ceremonies in Dieppe on Monday.  

Friday's ceremony in Ottawa  

Before placing a wreath at the War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Minister Rey Pagtakhan praised Canadian soldiers who stormed "full-force into a hail of enemy fire."  

Cliff Chadderton, head of the War Amps of Canada, has just completed a documentary called Dieppe: Don't Call it a Failure.  

He told CBC Newsworld Friday the lessons learned from Dieppe saved thousands of lives duirng the D-Day invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944.  

"I do not say that it was not a military blunder or political blunder. It was both of those," Chadderton said. But he added he doesn't like to use the term "military disaster."  

Cliff Chadderton  

Chadderton said the Allies learned several lessons, one being they should weaken enemies lines with naval and aerial bombing prior to a land assault.  

"We found that if you want to take a defended port, it was absolutely impossible. But the bombing that went on in Normandy two years later was a direct result of what we learned in Dieppe."  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.