Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 7:09am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « What Is the Common Thread the Survivors Share? »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Lost
(Moderators: yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   What Is the Common Thread the Survivors Share?
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Poll
Question: Let's theorize on some of the possibilities:

Each has lost a loved one.     0 (0%)
Each feels guilty and responsible for the loss of a loved one.     0 (0%)
Each has risen against insurmountable odds.     0 (0%)
Each has been judged unfairly in life.     0 (0%)
Each carries deep emotional scars.     1 (100%)
Each carries a dark secret not meant for others to know.     0 (0%)
Each has plotted revenge against someone.     0 (0%)
Other (explain)     0 (0%)

Total votes: 1

« Created by: Rupey on: Nov 10th, 2005, 11:33am »

Author  Topic: What Is the Common Thread the Survivors Share?  (Read 425 times)
Rupey
ForumsNet Member

Can't top Pearl Islands!

View Profile

What Is the Common Thread the Survivors Share?
« on: Nov 10th, 2005, 11:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, what do you think?  The theories are seemingly limitless but I'm thinking that loss in some form or another is the common thread that links these survivors.
IP Logged

"Lord, please make me the person my dog thinks I am."
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

Re: What Is the Common Thread the Survivors Share?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 5:33pm »

I'm going with the emotional aspect.  I don't think they've necessarily dealt with loss - there are too many of them who haven't really dealt with a great loss - Sun&Jin, Claire, Charlie, Boone??   I think it's more of like Locke said to Sun when she was looking for her wedding ring - and I think that episode was VERY symbolic of the whole show - the fact that he found himself when he stopped looking.  Locke, of all the survivors, seems to be the most content to be on the island.  

I can however, find emotional issues with all the main character - at least the old ones.

Jack - the issues of living up his father's expectations, his father's alcoholism, him turning his father in (Trying to please his father)

Sawyer - his father killing his mother and then himself with him under the bed, his hate for his stepfather (Trying to avenge is mother and father)

Locke - Being abandoned as a child, his sister's death, his father using him for the kidney transplant, the schizophrenia in his family, whatever happened with Helen (Trying to be the sort of son/person someone wants, wanting acceptance)

Charlie - Has lost his band, is a "has been, living in the past, one hit wonder" rocker, with a drug habit.  He has never had a real relationship (trying to become a responsible, non-druggie)

Sayid - The guilt of Nadia, and the terrorist business in Australia (when the friend committed suicide after he turned him into the CIA), not to mention any guilt he might have from his time with the Republican Guard (Trying to atone for his time in the guard)

Shannon - Abandoned by her father, left destitute, her "wicked" stepmother
(trying to forgive her father/stepmother)

Jin - the inner turmoil he has because of his real love for Sun, and his loyalty to her father even though he knows what he does is wrong.(Trying to earn his freedom from Mr. Paik)

Sun - sort of the same.  She loves her parents, and doesn't realize that her father is what has turned her husband into someone she is afraid of and wants to leave.
(Trying to find her own identity)

Claire - the only real issue I see here is her boyfriend abandoning her while she was pregnant - but since it was so recently, as opposed to some of the others being years ago... I can see how it would still be fresh in her mind and cause emotional issues (Trying to become a mother)

All of them are trying to find who they really are, and the emotional issues of their past are the problem
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Deekeryu
ForumsNet Member

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 6:45pm »

The common thread is that the world is a smaller place than we think, I think.  Everybody is connected to each other in one way or another, we just don't know how close.

Connections Link:

http://www.lost.cubit.net/connections.php?PHPSESSID=565104f71c44f7320ec3 39fecb4f4792
IP Logged
yesteach
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 7:17pm »

I think they're all connected someway too...  Shannon and Jack are connected through her father, Jack and Sawyer through the conversation with his dad in Australia, Hurley and Locke through the box factory.  I've suspected all along that there were connections there between all of them... the episode with Boone in the police station, when Sawyer goes by in the background.. made me wonder then, if there were connections we weren't seeing...
IP Logged

There are only 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.