Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Metropolis Reality Forums « Connery tops bad film accent poll »

Hot Movie News and Reviews at Entertainment Spectrum!
www.EntertainmentSpectrum.com
   Metropolis Reality Forums
   Off-Topic Forums
   Movie Discussion
(Moderators: Heather, yesteach, Isle_be_back)
   Connery tops bad film accent poll
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Connery tops bad film accent poll  (Read 1476 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Connery tops bad film accent poll
« on: Jul 1st, 2003, 11:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

LONDON, England -- Oscar winner Sean Connery has been named the actor with the worst film accent of all time in a UK magazine poll.  

Movie experts gave his attempt to play an Irish cop in the 1987 film "The Untouchables" -- which hardly concealed his strong Scottish burr -- top place in the poll by Empire movie magazine.  

Connery won an Academy Award for best supporting actor and a Golden Globe in 1988 for his performance as Jim Malone in the film.  

Edinburgh-born Connery is well-known for making every accent he imitates sound the same, says the magazine.  

"Whether he's a Russian sub captain ('The Hunt for Red October') or even an English king ('First Knight' and 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves'), always that baritone Highland burr remains," the August edition of the magazine said.  

The much-mocked performance beat Dick Van Dyke's attempt at an east London cockney accent in the movie "Mary Poppins."  

Olly Richards from Empire said the ability to emulate an accent enables actors to show their abilities.  

"Putting on a foreign lilt appeals to a star's vanity, giving them the opportunity to inhabit someone a million miles from themselves and prove that they are more than a pretty face," he said.  

"Sadly in most cases it does the exact opposite," he added.  

Last year Connery -- famous for his stint as British secret agent James Bond -- beat Ewan McGregor and Jude Law to be named Britain's sexiest actor in a poll by movie channel FilmFour.  

Other actors to top the bad-accent poll include the late Lord Laurence Olivier. The three-time Oscar winner and star of "Marathon Man" and "A Bridge Too Far" made it on the list for his "end-of-the-pier Jewish" accent in the 1980 remake of "The Jazz Singer."  

"Matrix" star Keanu Reeves also made the list for "Bram Stoker's Dracula."  

IP Logged
Dameon Alexander
ForumsNet Member
USA 

66346363 66346363   dameonalexander   dameonalexander8
View Profile Email

Re: Connery tops bad film accent poll
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 4:22pm »

I hope God sounds like Sean Connery or Patrick Stewart because I could listen to them talk for eternity.
IP Logged

MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Praying for FN members/family health & happiness

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

Re: Connery tops bad film accent poll
« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 8:34pm »

:laff:
IP Logged

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.