Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:03pm

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Grades »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Community
   Campus Life
(Moderators: Heather, Isle_be_back)
   Grades
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: all 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Grades  (Read 19848 times)
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

331122624 331122624   racedude122003   racedude122003
View Profile WWW

Grades
« on: Sep 16th, 2007, 12:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Want to brag? Post it here!  

Post overall grades, test grades, quiz grades! Whatever. Wink

I've never been a typical 'smart kid'. I've always had A's, B's and a C or two. I've only made A/B honor roll three times in my life. But after 5 weeks of school I still have all A's, which is longer then I've went before, lol.

Spanish  
Grade: 94% A
We took a test the other day so it may have went up/down.

Phys Ed 1
Grade: A (don't know percent)
We have had two tests so far. I was pissed off because I only got an A- on them (they were over swimming) and I'm the best swimmer in the class by far. (....but most people failed it, one kid got a negative one. lol)

Algebra
Grade: 96% A
We've had 4-5 quizzes/tests and my lowest score was an 85%.  

Business Foundations
Grade: A?
It was a B, but I got an A+ on the last two tests so it has to be an A by now. Wink

English 10
Grade: A 98%+
The most I've missed on any test is one point and we've had 4 so far....and after I get my 15 bonus points on Monday it should be over 100. Wink
IP Logged
Splatt
ForumsNet Member
USA 

All of my BB9 faves, except Josh

View Profile

Re: Grades
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 12:54pm »

English
B-
History
F
Math  
A+
Science
B
Latin
A-
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:09pm by Splatt » IP Logged

Reality Faves:
Gabon: Matty, Crystal, Charlie, Ken, Sugar
TAR 13: Ken/Tina, Kelly/Christy, Toni/Dallas
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

elizabethyong2001   dreamsofelle
View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 11:49pm »

Intro to Comm and Human Behavior Mid Term exam: A-

Damn, I missed an A by 2 measly points  Angry Angry Angry
IP Logged

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.
Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:37am »

Seriously, not to sound demoralizing or discrediting your effort and doing well in examinations or what. But it's really damn easy to get an A with that education system America's following.

It will even be a miracle if you can pass everything here in Singapore, let alone As. *rolleyes*

Oh wait, let alone scoring more than 90%. :laff: Here, we are struggling to get more than 45%. Smiley
IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 10:49am »

Have you studied in America, Popo?
IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 11:29am »

Media History and Law. A-

Only because the lecturer rounded up our .5 marks. Just hit the A- mark.

Darn, i want to do better
IP Logged

redwings8831
ForumsNet Member
USA 

MICHIGAN 81, DUKE 73!!!!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 4:16pm »

on Sep 17th, 2007, 3:45pm, TAR 4 life wrote:
Popo, that might be true, under the following conditions:

A. In some regions.
B. If you only count grades.

Let me explain:

A. In Florida, for example, 90-100 is an A. In some Private schools, 93-100 is an A. In my county, 93-100 is an A. Therefore, it's much easier for one in Florida to get an A than it is for someone in, say, the private schools.

This leads me to...

B. Grades = G.P.A. = pretty much everything scholastically

I'll use two real grading scales for an example:
A+ 98-100, 4.3 G.P.A.
A 93-97, 4.0 G.P.A.
B+ 90-92, 3.3. G.P.A.
B 85-89, 3.0 G.P.A.
C+ 82-84, 2.3 G.P.A.
C 77-81, 2.0 G.P.A.
D+ 74-76, 1.3 G.P.A.
D 70-73, 1.0 G.P.A.
F 0-69, 0 G.P.A.
Plus, 0.7 for AP courses
--------------------
A+ 97-100, 4.25 G.P.A.
A 95-96, 4.0 G.P.A.
A- 93-94, 4.0 G.P.A.
B+ 90-92, 3.5 G.P.A.
B 86-89, 3.0 G.P.A.
B- 84-85, 3.0 G.P.A.
C+ 81-83, 2.5 G.P.A.
C 79-80, 2.0 G.P.A.
C- 77-78, 2.0 G.P.A.
D+ 74-76, 1.5 G.P.A.
D 72-73, 1.0 G.P.A.
D- 70-71, 1.0 G.P.A.
F 0-69, 0.0 G.P.A.
Plus, 0.5 for AP courses, 0.25 for Honors courses.

My high school and many of the high schools around my area did not have weighted GPA's, which means that there was no possible way of getting higher than a 4.0. Most of the colleges, which I looked at, recalculated our grades based on the non-weighted GPA's and only took in academic classes into consideration.  

Quote:
A few stark differences:

List 1 counts higher for AP.
BUT, List 2 counts additional points for Honors.
If you notice the percentages, it is much easier for a person to get a higher G.P.A. in List 2, because of the percentages.

Which is why G.P.A. is rigged.

IN ADDITION, G.P.A. does NOT include extracurricular activities, including clubs, volunteering, or others. AND if someone is enrolled in basic courses, it is much easier to have a higher G.P.A. than someone who takes all AP and works a million times harder for that G.P.A.

Not to mention, our 2 semester exams count for a total of 40% of each classes' final grade. Two tests, one every four months, count for 40% of our grade. And in order to get accepted into most colleges or universities, you must do well in all that in addition to the SAT. One stupid test decides your whole future. Fortunately, that is beginning to change, but it sucks that it is still implemented.

Once you get into college, you will realize that most classes are just based on two or three exams. I have a class this semester which two papers make up 50%, the final makes up 25% and everything we do makes up the final 25% of the grade. I had another class where the final was 40% of the class. Plus, most of my exams are curved to the median (the median score would be a C+/B-). It was the only way to keep 3/4 of the class from failing and most classes at Michigan follow this system. So even though you have an  'A', your percentage won't be over 90%, in most cases.
IP Logged
Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:00pm »

Popo, if I was understanding you right, I remember you told me an A was a 75-100 at your school.  

Am I getting that right?  

And as far as I know, you haven't took any classes in America. So you can't exactly make the comparison when you have never done it before. Wink

IP Logged
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 11:16pm »

In my college, 80-100 is an A, 70-79 is an A- and 60-69 is a B+ I think. Don't remember the rest.

OMG I got an A for Computer studies.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
IP Logged

Tyler
ForumsNet Member
USA 

TAOR5 Starts Soon!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 4:03pm »

I got my Business & English grades today.

My grade in Business is a B+ which is the lowest of all my classes. And I have an A in English.
IP Logged
Heather
ForumsNet Moderator
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Yami+Setsu
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:43pm »

My lowest grade right now is a 90 A- in English, then a 93 A in Spanish, and a 100% in everything else right now. Cheesy Of course it's only been like 4 weeks....

Quote:
Oh wait, let alone scoring more than 90%. :laff: Here, we are struggling to get more than 45%.

Singaporean school systems must be a lot different. Here a 45% is definitely failing. So I don't get how they grade.  Huh Although it does seem like other countries are a LOT harder to pass in than the US. For example, a lot of countries you have to pass exams JUST to get into high school.  Shocked
IP Logged

http://www.tengaged.com/user/supergoten
^please click this link as often as you want, give me free money on tengaged Cheesy
Elizabeth
ForumsNet Member
Malaysia 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 7:23am »

Well, I guess passing grade differs in countries, and in Malaysia too. Apparently the Passing mark for SPM (High School Equivalency Certificate) differs each year. I've also heard that for the Add Maths paper, (which is hell), you can get an A by simply answering ONE question? Roll Eyes Not too sure, I did not take those exams. I took SATs instead Grin
IP Logged

Joab
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Toni and Dallas FTW!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 11:08am »

on Sep 17th, 2007, 10:49am, JP wrote:
Have you studied in America, Popo?

You don't need to be born in America to know that Bush's a flop, right?

I have friends who studied in America and telling me how stress free it's over there and they admitted that Singapore's study lifestyle is just too stressful.

Here 45% is an E grade, considered as a pass because everyone's else only scoring 50-60+ for subjects like General Paper (English), where i got a C (55 marks) last term and was the top 30% for the cohort in my college.

And the top grade for Economics was a low B, 60+, no one scored A and there's like 479 students taking Econs. Besides, more than 300 students failed, scoring 45 and below.

Maths was really bad too, more than 50% of the cohort failed.

It's not just a norm for that to happen in my college alone, every other college in Singapore's having the same situation of students failing examinations.

You just have to see the comparison between people from America happily telling others how they have scored As in everything and students from Singapore struggling to pass to know the total big difference in education system between the two countries. It's a fact that things are way easier in America because of the way they test students. In America, they test more on your skills, knowledge and understanding. In Singapore, you have no choice but to memorise on everything taught because if you don't study for an exam, you will bound to fail for not having revised on the things taught.

My friends told me that they only test a few topics for their tests, while here in Singapore each time you go for a Maths test you're tested on like more than 10 topics and each paper is like 3 hours long straight. I bet that doesn't happen in America?
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2007, 11:10am by Joab » IP Logged

Vote in The Amazing Race Survival Battle -
http://www.forumsnet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=tar5game;action=display;num=1229008287
Genius
ForumsNet Member
Singapore 

Asian engineering!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 11:43am »

Singaporeans are not the worst by the way. The workload for students in China is at least thrice of that here. In South Korea, they have to go to cram school till 1am (or at least that's what I read).

IP Logged

TAR14: Tammy and Victor
S18: Brendan, Taj, Spencer
JP
ForumsNet Member
Philippines 

Ditch IE. Use Firefox.

293041687 293041687     jezzieflanigan
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 3:02pm »

on Sep 19th, 2007, 11:08am, Gone wrote:
You don't need to be born in America to know that Bush's a flop, right?

Let's not get too political here. I don't even want to assume what you want to mean by this.

I have friends who studied in America and telling me how stress free it's over there and they admitted that Singapore's study lifestyle is just too stressful.

Here 45% is an E grade, considered as a pass because everyone's else only scoring 50-60+ for subjects like General Paper (English), where i got a C (55 marks) last term and was the top 30% for the cohort in my college.

And the top grade for Economics was a low B, 60+, no one scored A and there's like 479 students taking Econs. Besides, more than 300 students failed, scoring 45 and below.

Maths was really bad too, more than 50% of the cohort failed.

It's not just a norm for that to happen in my college alone, every other college in Singapore's having the same situation of students failing examinations.

Ok.

You just have to see the comparison between people from America happily telling others how they have scored As in everything and students from Singapore struggling to pass to know the total big difference in education system between the two countries.

Well it could be the system, but not to sound demoralizing but it could be that the students in Singapore are not studying hard enough. Just a wild theory, not a fact. Wink

It's a fact that things are way easier in America because of the way they test students. In America, they test more on your skills, knowledge and understanding. In Singapore, you have no choice but to memorise on everything taught because if you don't study for an exam, you will bound to fail for not having revised on the things taught.

I actually feel sorry for students there! I do not like memorizing so I'll definitely fail in Singapore! Or maybe not. Good thing I don't have to try that LOL.

My friends told me that they only test a few topics for their tests, while here in Singapore each time you go for a Maths test you're tested on like more than 10 topics and each paper is like 3 hours long straight. I bet that doesn't happen in America?

Can't say about America, but it also happens here. In high school we had 4 periodic exams (I think that's what it was called) and the Finals. Each periodic exam is of topics discussed within the last 2 1/2 months (we have 10-month school year) so you can imagine how horrible that is.

Still, an A is an A. It takes effort to get an A in everything, even if it's easy. You have to commend them for having the initiative to continue doing their best in their studies. Smiley We have smart people here and I think we should celebrate that.
IP Logged
Pages: all 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.