Yet Another Bulletin Board
Sponsored by: The Fans!

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 8:49am

Upcoming Premiere Dates:
Survivor 23, Season premiere
Thursday, September 14 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Chat Chat Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

| Fantasy Survivor Game | Music Forums | The '80s Server Forums | Shop Online |

Metropolis Reality Forums « Fear Factor »

Metropolis Reality Forums
   Other Television Shows
   Other Television Shows
(Moderators: lakelady, yesteach, MediaScribe, Bumper, Isle_be_back)
   Fear Factor
Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fear Factor  (Read 343 times)
Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

Fear Factor
« on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Missouri NBC Affiliate Pulls 'Fear Factor'
Wed, Jan 8, 2003 05:01 PM PDT  

by Rick Porter
Zap2it, TV News  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - An NBC affiliate in Missouri pre-empted Monday's (Jan. 6) episode of "Fear Factor," in which contestants were asked to eata piece of horse rectum.

Mike Scott, president and general manager of KYTV in Springfield, Mo., says the decision was made Monday. He acknowledges that the stunt show regularly pushes the envelope of good taste, but the horse-rectum stunt "seemed over the line."  

"I don't look at it as censorship," Scott tells Zap2it. "Our station has an image that we try to develop in the community, and this didn't fit with what we want to portray." Scott also says he thought the episode should have carried a stronger rating than the TV-PG it was assigned.

KYTV made the decision to pull the episode Monday. Because of the abbreviated time the station had to find replacement programming, Scott says, reruns of old shows "Dragnet" and "McHale's Navy" ended up running in its place.

Scott says he notified NBC of the decision, and the network didn't object. The station's affiliate contract allows it to pre-empt programming it deems unsuitable, Scott says.

Viewers seem to agree with the decision. As of Wednesday (Jan. Cool, response to KYTV was running about 60-40 in favor, Scott says. In hindsight, however, he says he might have aired the episode in late night so viewers would at least have some chance to see it.

NBC has no comment on the matter.

Springfield is a city of about 150,000 in southern Missouri. KYTV serves about 400,000 households in the country's 73rd-largest TV market.

KYTV's removal of the show didn't have much effect on the national ratings. "Fear Factor" had its best performance since March 2002, drawing 15.1 million viewers.  

IP Logged
Ayanda
ForumsNet Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Fear Factor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 8:13pm »

Reading that article made me angry, why should the affiliate network choose what veiwers should watch and shouldnt? i think that if your disgusted by fear factor then just plain out don't watch it, maybe early on people were shocked by the stunts but now people come to expect it so if you don't like it don't watch it, it's that simple. I do'nt see how eating horse rectum was so offensive, when in the past they had to eat pig rectum, various animal penisis, bull testicles the list goes on, so why pre-empt it now? And the mother's and teachers who said that children shouldn't be watching it, well it's the paren't decision whether they would have there children watch it or not, if a parent let's a child watch the show than so be it. I don't see how eating certain animals affects children negatively, how does eatin various animals really hurt children in the long run? I think the affiliate made a wrong decision on there part.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2003, 8:16pm by Ayanda » IP Logged

Rhune
ForumsNet Administrator
USA 

29289456 29289456   rhune_1971   Rhune1971
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 9:36am »

February Full of 'Fear'
Wed, Jan 29, 2003 06:05 PM PDT  

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - February is the shortest month, but that's not keeping NBC from packing four very special episodes of "Fear Factor" in during the sweeps period, including a 90-minute, all-female, all-gross and couples-themed Valentine's show.

The "all-gross" episode will kick things off on Monday, Feb. 3 with six contestants being forced to bob for objects submerged in 50 gallons of cows blood, consume five-inch long tomato hornworms and gather skunk roadkill from inside a pitch black tunnel.

On the following Monday (Feb. 10), four couples will transfer live roaches from an over-sized, heart-shape candy box to their partner to a bin using only their mouths, and attempt to unlock and release their mate from a underwater box. Adding to the dynamics, two of the couples are married while the other two are not.

The special 90-minute episode will be composed of four stunts and air on Monday, Feb. 24, while the girls only "Fear Factor" will air at a special night on Tuesday, Feb. 4.  

IP Logged
MzzJoplin
ForumsNet Member

Thaid no more ...

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 4:46pm »

How gross!  I think I'll be missing those, thank you very much!  

:barf:
IP Logged

"It's hard to be free, but when it works, it sure is worth it ... " ~ Janis Joplin
MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Praying for FN members/family health & happiness

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 5:26pm »

Missouri is the "Show Me" state - yes?  I'm sorry but what that affiliate did was in worse taste than the show.  Anyone and everyone should be able to  :censored: themselves.   :steamed:  MzzJ may or may NOT watch but she's making that decision for herself.     grrrrrrrrrrrr :steamed:

And actually, the next four epi's don't sound any more gross than the others but that's just my  :twocents:
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2003, 5:29pm by MzWings » IP Logged

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

chickmama
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Eat more Chicken

CarlaW70
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:36pm »

I personally liked the idea of airing the show at a later time.  I agree it's everyone's choice of what they watch, but I can understand why the tv station thinks they have a right to sensor what's shown on their channel.  Some of this stuff just isn't suitable television for children, and after they've gone to bed is a good time to air it.  I will agree with Ayanda, this one wasn't any worse than others that came before it, but the tv station has probably just now figured out how bad some of these "stunts" are.
I remember when NYPD Blue first aired, our local tv station decided not to air it, because it contained partial nudity....boy, how times have changed in such a short time.  Who would have thought that things like fear factor would have existed then.  Anyway...I really don't remember anyone around here throwing much of a fit about it not showing.
If a store owner decides not to carry something in his store because he finds it offensive, then why shouldn't a television station owner have the same right?
IP Logged
MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2003, 9:41am »

If a store owner "shelves" a product he/she finds objectionable - that's fine.  One could probably find the merchandise elsewhere.  But the fact of the matter is that I pay for my cable and if I choose to watch something, give it - otherwise, prorate my damned bill. lol!

The idea of airing a program late at night is a good one.  I really think that should have been implemented.
IP Logged

MzWings
ForumsNet Member
Canada 

Grahndmahmah
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 3rd, 2003, 7:43pm »

:barf: I have FF on and haven't been able to actually "watch" it.  And actually, the sound is now off and my back is to the TV.  I'm trying to eat my shrimp cocktail and they're eating big ole tomato hook worms or something equally gross.

Call Wingsy a wuss........ :shame2:  Maybe if I weren't eating I could take it.
IP Logged

chickmama
ForumsNet Member
USA 

Eat more Chicken

CarlaW70
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2003, 10:03am »

Ugh!  It doesn't matter whether I'm eating, or whether it's been 6 hours since I last ate;  that gross stuff just makes my tummy heave!  When I do watch fear factor, it's usually through my fingers.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Add Poll Add Poll Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic | New Topic | Next topic »

Metropolis Reality Forums » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.